Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Removing Trojan  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Tango Bunny

Removing Trojan
« on: April 05, 2004, 12:58 »
I have recently descovered on installing  Norton Antvirus software that I have Downloader.MS Cache trojan.
I think I know how to go about removing it but am stuck on one or two pionts.
How do I ..Unregister the browser helper object?
What does it mean by  Run a ful system scan?
When I  re start my puta in Safe mode  how do I log in as administrator?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Removing Trojan
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 13:13 »
Hi Tango Bunny and :welcome:

I am not sure what the browser object thing is, so would need some more information on that  ???

A full system scan checks your MBR and all sysytem files and all the drives on your PC, dont forget to disable system restore before you run it if you are going to do a scan in safe mode, especially if thats the recommended method for removing that particular trojan or virus.

When you start up in safe mode it gives you the option to log on as administrator or as one of the other accounts by clicking on the symbol and/or name  :)

Offline Tango Bunny

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 14:16 »
Thank you Sandra
When I log onto my puta I get a warning from Norton telling me I have this virus.
In the warning pop up is a link to the Symantec site  explaining how to get rid of the Trojan.    Step 5 of the instructions say.....Unregister the browser helper object
That's all I know I don't have any other  info appart from what's on the site

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 14:48 »
The only thing that I can find out about the browser helper thing is that its probably been installed on your browser by some adware program.
Have a look in add/remove programs and delete anything that looks like its been added without your knowledge and get and run Adaware from :

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Its a free program and seems to work quite well, this may remove the "Browser Helper" without you having to go to the add/remove bit, then go into safe mode, disable system restore and run a full AV scan  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum