Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet Connection  (Read 1322 times)

Offline JPY313

Internet Connection
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:12 »
Hi,
i was wondering if anyone could help, i have a motorola surfboard broadband modem, which has been dying on me recently, by this i mean after about an hour on the net / downloading stuff it just stops, and i cant relaunch my web browser again without rebooting.  the scary thing is though that even when i know the connection is dead, the activity button still flashes / stays on constantly.
Any Ideas????
cheers
john
 :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:42 »
This is getting to be a bit of a standard reply, but have you checked for Spyware?  You could also clear your cache and cookies to see if that helps.  Also, how much space have you allocated for Temporary Internet Files?

To see if it is actually your modem, and not Internet Explorer causing this, it might be worthwhile downloading and trying another browser, such as the excellent Mozilla.  You may even find you prefer it, as it has many built in features, such as a Cookie Manager, and Pop Up Stopper, and is generally more secure than IE.    :)

Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster
Spybot S&D

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JPY313

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:42 »
thanks simon,
i always clear my cookies / temp internet files after each session, and generally dont have a great deal of them.  im willing to try anything....twice, so i might give mozilla a spin, is it generally the same format as ie or will i have to be a genius to use it?  also will it conflict with any other micro$oft software?

Offline JPY313

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 11:44 »
as per usual i was a little premature with my last post, i also run spybot adaware and cwshredder, as well as registry mechanic.  while im on, where would i post a result from "hijack this", so you guys could advise of any other probs?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 12:21 »
We don't have a special section for Hijack This logs, so just post it here, John, and someone will look at it for you.

Mozilla is the same, in principal, to IE, in that it's a tool to browse the Internet.  It has Back and Forward buttons, Bookmarks (Favorites), etc, so essentially it shouldn't be at all difficult to use.  There are a couple of Mozilla threads at the top of our General Software Help section which might be of interest.  The beauty of Moz is that you can add plug-ins to your hearts content, and make it as individually customised as you like.  One plug in I would say is essential is IE View, which adds to the right click menu, and enables the odd webpage which refuses to open in Mozilla, to be viewed in IE.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 12:25 »
Can you still connect to send and receive mail or can you get on to a messenger service at all, or is it as if the modem has disconnected completely as far as the pcs concerned ?
Is it a USB modem, which ISP are you with ?

Offline JPY313

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 13:35 »
im connected by a multi usb hub, but then again so is my mouse, which never fails, however it is indeed as though the modem has disconnected completely as far as the pc is concerned.  my isp is blueyonder broadband.  i can receive mail but not when it "disconnects" - everything just comes up with the "page cannot be displayed" error??? >:( :'( ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 13:47 »
The modem will take more power than the mouse so it could just be a power supply to the modem issue.
Can you try the modem directly into the PC, especially if your USB hub is not mains powered.
Let us know if that improves things  :)

Offline JPY313

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 13:51 »
;D  thanks, i will give that a try tonight, and let you know the reults.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum