Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: More Graphics Card Probs.  (Read 2291 times)

Offline JPY313

Re:More Graphics Card Probs.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 14:37 »
i ll give it a go as soon as im out of work, if this works, does that mean that i have a problem with my graphics card or monitor???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 15:28 »
If it allows a higher screen res with a lower colour setting then I think that means that the graphics card isnt up to running the higher res and full colour mode, as far as I know the monitor should be ok with almost any card subject to the limitations of res and colours of the graphics card  :)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 16:10 »
I'm inclined to think the monitor cannot handle the refresh rate for the resolution you are trying to put it into. If the graphics card was failing then it either wouldn't have switched resolution or would not have returned to the correct resolution.

What settings do you have in display properties, settings, advanced, monitor? Do you have the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" selected?

Try dropping the refresh rate down to 60Hz and then setting the 1024x768 resolution - If it doesn't work then a new monitor is likely to be the best option. Second hand at computer fairs works out at about £30-£50 for a 17" CRT.

Failing that get hold of some other software for the DVD writing - Nero usually has a free 30day trial version over on www.ahead.de

If you are trying to convert video then the Nerovison express is reasonable too (don't know if that has a free trial version though)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 16:13 »

yeah dack, the original res comes back on after 15 secs if i leave it, do you think i need a new monitor?  also, unrelated, do you think i should upgrade my power supply from 250?

The more power the better is the usual case BUT if you are not having problems at present then I wouldn't worry too much. Also if you have a non-standard case then it can be a real problem getting a replacement with a higher rating.

BTW what processor are you running?
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline JPY313

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 16:20 »
im running a pentium 3 processor, and i will try all the suggested remedies after a small half of diet shandy on my way back from work,
thanks everyone, i will post the outcome a.s.a.p. ;)

Offline JPY313

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 08:48 »
thanks for all the help guys, it was indeed my monitor that was the problem, i have acquired a new one now, and have no problems getting a decent rez, now all i need to do is save up some pennies for a decent graphics card and im laughing.

THANKS GUYS AND GALS

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum