Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: sPYBOT (again)  (Read 1147 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
sPYBOT (again)
« on: April 08, 2004, 17:02 »
Ran spybot today after i'd got the latest spyware blaster upgrade.  spybot found 52 items. did search and destroy, then rebooted and reran spybot and it still found 49 items.

so why a) doesnt spyware blaster keep them away
       b) doesnt spybot kill 'em in the first place   :-\

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:sPYBOT (again)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 17:20 »
Stoopid Question I know Dave... but you have enabled everything in SWB, Since I have SWB running I get very little of the buggers on my pc now  ;)

If it persists, why not ask one of the Techies to have a look at a HJL for you.

Hook

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 17:59 »
Dave, Spyware Blaster doesn't remove spyware, or do anything about spyware already on your machine.  It will, however, prevent further spyware from getting in, once you've cleaned your machine.

Suggestion: Disable System Restore, go into Safe Mode and run Spybot and Ad Aware.  There may well be some nasties lodged in the System Restore folder, which keep reloading each time you restart the PC.

Failing that, run Hijack This and post the results on here.   :)

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Hijack This
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 14:41 »
Cheers guys.  i know swb doesnt remove the nasties and it seems to have kept the numbers down to the 49 which i cant shift. at least half a dozen are registry entries, so i'll try your suggestion simon and disable sys restore which is a pile of poo (in ME) anyhow.  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 15:10 »
You only need to disable System Restore while you're removing the spyware, Dave.  Don't forget to turn it back on afterwards!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum