Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Updating Bios  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Updating Bios
« on: January 04, 2003, 20:36 »
As some of you may or may not know ( or care  ::) ) I recently replaced a failed 3.2 gig hard drive in my PC with a new 40 gig one.There are normally two options available to make an old PC like mine see what to it is a massively big drive. One is by updating the Bios,the other is by using a "tool" from the disc manufacturers site ( if available ).I chose the second option as I had heard that there was a 50/50 chance of destroying the computer by updating the bios and had been told if it aint broke dont fix it  ::)
Someone on another forum suggested that he would have updated the Bios as he has done it a few times and never had a problem. I asked if there would be any advantage in risking updating my Bios now as the drive was being recognised and working fine?
Its a few weeks since I asked this question and have not received an answer for some reason,either he hasnt seen my post or doesnt have an answer maybe  ???
The only reply I got was from another member who thought as I did that if it worked leave well alone.
So does anyone on here know what,if any,advantages I would get by updating my Bios now when all appears to be working fine?
Is it as risky as I have been lead to believe?
Hoping I can get an answer before yet another new year passes  :-*

Adept

Re:Updating Bios
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 20:46 »
If things aren't working properly and if the BIOS update will definately support your new drive Sandra, then it may well be worth the risk updating to a new BIOS.

However, having killed two motherboards in my career by not reading the instructions to the letter and thinking I knew best, I am always wary of recommending that people upgrade their BIOS. Even though I have probably upgraded BIOSs about 20 times since without problems since.

If it aint broke don't fix it was invented for this situation ???

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 21:18 »
On older mobos, updating the BIOS is more risky than newer ones, only becuse manufacturers often now produce nice little utilities that go with their mobos and enable BIOS updates to be done relatively safely.

On older ones, as Adept says, you HAVE to follow the instructions PRECISELY.

There are gains to be had with newer BIOSes, such as enabling newer CPUs, HD size etc

BUT if you're at all wary about it, then best not try, unless there is something not working that NEEDS this update.

Me .... I like tinkering and change the BIOS as soon as there is a new one released that improves system performance >:D
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 21:43 »
You should see if a bois update is even possable for your board type. If not then no need to worry. If it is and it says it enables large disk support then you can risk it. Just make sure to read carefully about it.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 22:13 »
sandra i think you must have a pc death wish.

>:D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 00:46 »
I'm with you daveeb just wanted to know what advantages there would be if any in updating it now as the seagate thing sorted the drive size problem out.I wont be putting a bigger drive in than the one I have just installed and wont be upgrading the CPU so it looks like there arent any advantages at the moment so I will be leaving it alone. I just wanted to know for the last few weeks if there would be any point risking it as the other forum didnt seem to know.Pals does it again in a few minutes.Thanks guys  :-*

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 01:05 »
I recently looked for a new hard drive as my old one was not nearly enough and was told that the most I could buy was 20GB as my Bios could not take any more than that. And updating Bios was a NO-NO
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 01:06 »
then again I KNOW NOTHING i shop at idiots are us
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 01:36 »
I've updated the Bios on my old compaq and also on this new new Pc with no probs, And also graphic card Bios's as well with no probs. He Who Dares Wins  or cocks up which ever the case may be  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 02:19 »
Well if you get a Seagate one Greenking and download the Seagate Discwizard from Seagates site onto a floppy it appears it will do it fine.
You just need to set the jumper at the back as it tells you on the site and it limits it initially to about 2 gig.Run the Seagate disc and it will sort it out,it formatted and partiotioned mine very quickly ( a lot quicker than the last 10 gig one I did with Fdisk)In fact I would probably have got a 60 gig drive for a few pounds more if I had known it was going to work so well and so easily  :-*

Kayla

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2003, 09:17 »
What a load of wimps ! You will tinker with a disk drive costing £100, but won't tinker with a motherboard which costs £80 ?  

Remember the Nike ad - "Just do it"  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2003, 11:31 »
You tell'em Kayla, I was being more diplomatic, it's an age thingy  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2003, 14:09 »

What a load of wimps ! You will tinker with a disk drive costing £100, but won't tinker with a motherboard which costs £80 ?  

Kayla ,you must have got me mixed up with Bat  ::)
I dont tinker with anything if I can help it  ;)
I needed a new hard drive ( which cost me £50 ) so I had to get one.Its a lot easier and quicker to replace a hard drive than a motherboard  :)
Also having only the one PC working at the moment it meant I was unable to use it for a matter of minutes not hours  :)

Yours Sandra,for wimps everywhere  8)

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2003, 14:42 »
Sandra ... how could you  :o ;)

I tinker with EVERYTHING  8) :o >:D >:D >:D
there is always the possibility it will be better  :P

As they say ... practice makes perfect  :P :P  
 ....I've just had the most expensive part removed from my equipment  ;) ;) ;D
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 15:51 »
....I've just had the most expensive part removed from my equipment  ;) ;) ;D

OUCH!!  :o :o  Did it hurt?   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum