Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: AVG Updates  (Read 2508 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
AVG Updates
« on: April 26, 2004, 00:52 »
Am I just unlucky, or have updates for AVG anti-virus become almost impossible to download?

I have just managed to update mine, through the built-in update manager, for the first time in  five weeks.   I know it is possible to go to Grisoft's website and manually download and install them, but should that really be necessary?  Personally, I don't like any  security programs - they're intrusive - but AVG is very tolerable.  However, if this carries on, I'm going to be looking for a new free anti-virus program, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Re:AVG Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 02:14 »
i updated mine today without an ounce of trouble man, day before yesterday i had a bit of trouble but i kept trying and i got it done in about an hour. I guess its possible their having server trouble.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 06:38 »
GM Dave  :)

There is a thread about somewhere that you can change the address for updates.

I know its a bit vague but its early  ;D

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:26 »
Just in case you need it - heres the thread Hook was on about;

http://pc-pals.com/index.php?board=31;action=display;threadid=10544;start=0

DJ

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 12:33 »
Cheers DJ, it was early after all  ;)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:51 »
Mine did it yesterday, Or I thought it did so I just checked and it said I was upto date so I guess it did.

;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 17:28 »
If you're looking for an alternative free one, Dave, I've seen Avast recommended on here.  Think it was Dack, but not sure.

http://www.avast.com/
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 18:22 »

Why is everyone so mad keen on getting FREE Antivirus Programmes? I am as keen as anyone to save money, but with so many viruses on the loose, surely  it is worth spending a few pounds to protect your computer and valuable data from being destroyed by some script kiddies havoc causing virus? Around £24 is the price for a top Anti Virus programme, a small price to pay for protection. Check the programmes Virus Checking Capabilites, and you will find that AVG does not do too well in professional tests. I use Nod 32 Anti Virus, which has never failed to catch an in the wild virus. Use free programmes by all means, but I would recommend using a paid for Anti Virus!

:hatoff: :hatoff:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Adept

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 19:41 »
Why is everyone so mad keen on getting FREE Antivirus Programmes?

Having used most of the major paid for AV programs over the years, I think I'm in a good position to say that they don't do anything that AVG doesn't do. That's why I recommend it to everyone. Why spend money unneccessarily?

Another aspect is my suspicion of the Anti-Virus industry in general, which is making a great deal of money from the explosion of viruses in recent years. Coincidence? Maybe :-\

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 20:19 »

If you're looking for an alternative free one, Dave, I've seen Avast recommended on here.  Think it was Dack, but not sure.

http://www.avast.com/

Yep :)

Excellent package as it installs as 5 modules that you can configure. I don't do P2P so disabled that one, along with the instant messenger one and the Outlook mail (as I use Pegasus). Means it isn't as processor hungry as things like Norton.

Some like AVG, some like others - all virus scanners seem to find viruses the others leave.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 20:36 »
I think I've asked this before, but has anyone tried 'eTrust'?  I have a free trial (for a year) on a CD that came with the MS Security Update CD, and wondered whether to try it when my Norton expires in June.  I am quite reluctant to change, having used Norton for three years, as I do feel very secure with it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 21:10 »

I think I've asked this before, but has anyone tried 'eTrust'?  I have a free trial (for a year) on a CD that came with the MS Security Update CD, and wondered whether to try it when my Norton expires in June.  I am quite reluctant to change, having used Norton for three years, as I do feel very secure with it.

I have tried E-Trust- the free trial that Microsoft are putting out, and the firewall that is included is free Zone Alarm with a different colour scheme, although you can update to Pro if you want to. As far as the Anti virus is concerned, I found it to be good, and its got good write ups, but the only problem is that when it finds a virus it dosent clean or delete it but just notifies you. You then have to do a PC Scan to clean or delete the virus. If I were you I would stick to Norton or use Nod 32 as I am and recommended in my above post.

:thumb: :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 21:17 »
Quote from Adept
 Another aspect is my suspicion of the Anti-Virus industry in general, which is making a great deal of money from the explosion of viruses in recent years. Coincidence? Maybe

I must say that maybe you have a point here. That thought had crossed my mind!

:night:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 21:27 »
Thanks DG.  That's enough to put me off it.  ;D  I will probably stick to Norton - does anyone know how much a subscription renewal is?  I think I would rather stick with 2003 than have all this activation palava with 2004.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 23:39 »
Thanks for the replies.  

From what I have read here, from Bob, and from what I have found in Google Groups, it certainly looks as if it isn't just me.  I suspect the popularity of AVG causes the server to be over-stretched at times.  While I most certainly agree with Delgado that you get what you pay for, I would prefer to pay "Sweet F.A.", so if this sporadic trouble in getting updates continues, I think I might give Avast a try.

Off topic, but Dack metions Pegasus.  If there is just one program from Microshaft (MS) that I like, it is Outlook Express.  However, as I try harder and harder to avoid using MS products, I am always interested in looking at alternatives. Does anyone know if Pegasus supports multiple identities as well as multiple accounts?

Thanks again.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum