Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Nearly there  (Read 986 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Nearly there
« on: May 24, 2004, 15:33 »
Yes folks, my poor old 1 GHz machine is nearly as good as i can get it.  My last project is to buy a new hard drive for my usb-ide caddy (and hopefully partition & format it) and get a usb 2 card to help it run at its intended speed.

To make way for the usb2 card i intend to remove a faulty firewire card and/or a redundant modem card.  As i am running XP i believe once you have made 4 hardware changes the pc becomes locked up.  So would my proposed changes count as 1 change per item added/removed or 1 change overall.    And if/when  i do reach 4 changes is it just a question of reactivating XP.  Ta everyone  :P

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Nearly there
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 16:07 »
Hardware changes that can affect XP are usually CPU/Motherboard Dave, you shouldnt have any problems adding or removing cards and hard drives  :)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 16:45 »
Dave,
I don't have enough knoledge to direct you, but I heard (or read) that not all USB2 cards work correctly for all motherboard or processors. You should buy a card which works with your hardwear. I was expecting Sandra (or  someone else) to mention that. But as I'm not techie, I can't be sure of that point. Just felt worthy to mention. (just in case).
object width="450" height="150">

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 19:05 »
thanks sandra & joudi  ;)

i thought usb2 cards were pretty universal joudi.  i'll get a cheapo one then just in case  ;D

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 19:15 »
And if you do change too much then you simply have to re-activate(as I am about to do to this machine I'm going to be selling soon - I've changed the memory, graphics card, disk drive and am about to add a floppy and change the graphics card again)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 19:36 »

And if you do change too much then you simply have to re-activate(as I am about to do to this machine I'm going to be selling soon - I've changed the memory, graphics card, disk drive and am about to add a floppy and change the graphics card again)

;) and when i've got it just right i'll probably want a new one  :P

(more chance of hell freezing over than getting that one past the chancellor  aka mrsB  ;D )

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 19:44 »
Mine is making me get rid of 2 machines (to only leave me with 2 :))

Now trying to decide which to keep from:
Pentium 4 @ 3G
Pentium 4 @ 2.8G
Athlon 2500
Athlon 3200 (Ideq mini case version )

I've been told I can get another TFT to replace the 19" CRT monitor though (and I've snuck in a DVD-Writer upgrade :))
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 21:24 »

Mine is making me get rid of 2 machines (to only leave me with 2 :))

Now trying to decide which to keep from:
Pentium 4 @ 3G
Pentium 4 @ 2.8G
Athlon 2500
Athlon 3200 (Ideq mini case version )

I've been told I can get another TFT to replace the 19" CRT monitor though (and I've snuck in a DVD-Writer upgrade :))

How will you ever manage Dack  :'(  ;D

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 19:32 »
When reactivating your PC, you only need a phone, a pen, and a piece of paper. Or just a phone in front of your PC.

You give MS a bunch of numbers, they give you another bunch back... There is no security involved, I have had to reactivate for sooo many PC's!! argh.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum