Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Can ping internet, but not access websites..  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Ian

Re:Can ping internet, but not access websites..
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 20:16 »

Try right clicking in the LAN connection of the pc thats not working and select the repair option.
No change
Try a different ethernet lead.
swapped - but no
Try a different router port.
no change
If all those fail then run the network wizard again.
tried it - no luck
If you cant access the router itself then its a fault on that pc or its port.
looks like it...
Has anyone been into the bios on that pc and disabled the onboard ethernet port
No

1 thing - in the ipconfig screen:

On the problem pc 'WINS Proxy Enabled' is set to 'no'
On the working one it is 'yes'

Could that be it? If so, how do I change it?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 20:40 »
Looks like you have found it Ian  :)

http://tinyurl.com/5x2qf

Never come across that before and havent found out how to enable it yet but I have seen Adept lurking about so he will propbably know  ;)

Seems to be applicable to 98/ME/2000/NT and server 2003 no mention of it on XP, maybe someone can explain why  ???

Edit: URL Tiny'd to fix the page formatting for Moz users

Adept

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 21:02 »

I have seen Adept lurking about so he will propbably know  ;)

Lurking? Me?  :whistle:

I'd be surprised if WINS was anything to do with it. WINS (Windows Internet Naming Service) is used in Microsoft server-based systems as an aid to translating IP addresses into Names via the netbeui protocol.

The only WINS settings I know of are in the Network Connections setting dialog box in the TCP/IP properties Advanced settings.

It definately sounds like a firewall is blocking one PC from working. Have you tried uninstalling rather than disabling the personal firewall software?

Offline Ian

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 23:04 »
OK, I uninstalled Norton Internet Security but still can't connect. Any more suggestions?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 23:46 »
I cant think of any at the moment Ian sorry  :(

Which OSs are you using on your pcs by the way ?

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 14:37 »
both xp

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 14:51 »
Ian, I am still concentrating on getting the ethernet side sorted and ignoring the wi fi for now.
Is the ethernet connection onboard or on a PCI card ?
Is it showing as ok in the device manager ?
I know you said no one had been in the bios but if its onboard can you have a look and see if its is enabled in there ?
It has to be something as basic as that.
If its a PCI card, then maybe it needs pulling out and reseating  ?

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 19:35 »
Is the ethernet connection onboard or on a PCI card ?
It's onboard - a laptop

Is it showing as ok in the device manager ?
yes

I know you said no one had been in the bios but if its onboard can you have a look and see if its is enabled in there ?
I'll have a look - how do I do that?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 19:39 »
Usually either DEL or F2 as its booting Ian, just after the post beep.
Not sure which section its in, probably integrated peripherals or something worded like that  :)

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 21:56 »
I'm giving up on this one - 2 other laptops the same as this has just developed the same prob in our office - looks like a hardware fault - they' re going back to Sony

:-* A big thank you to all who helped :-*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2004, 00:30 »
Sorry to hear that Ian, but glad in a way that it wasnt something we should have spotted  :-[
If it does turn out to be somthing other than hardware please let us know  :)

I have just had problems getting one of my laptops on my network, it connected to the internet no problem as soon as I installed the pcmcia wi fi card but it couldnt see my other pcs on the network  ???
I must have had a blonde moment as I had set it up for the wrong name of workgroup  ::)
Working fine now though  ;D ;D ;D

Offline DanielB

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 07:52 »
I had the same problem on my computer, was ages ago, and I am pretty sure it had something to do with a windows update and the network card I had. At some point I could use the internet, and browse the network, but transfering files was rediculously slow. But when I changed something, I couldn't go in the internet anymore, but browsing the network was fine, and transfers on the network went back up to normal speeds.

I reinstalled windows xp 5 times during the month it was happening, and then replaced the network card. Things all work fine now, so I am not sure if it was a windows update, or a dodgy network card error (I am pretty sure it was a windows issue).

It could be that something in the TCP/IP of XP was corrupted, and there is some way of actually reinstalling TCP/IP, but its not a simple, click here, click there, and whala, its uninstalled and since my problem is no more, I paid little attention to the article... but I will have a dig around, and see if I can come up with the magazine it was in.

Has Sony been able to fix the issue?

Daniel

Offline JIMMY

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 23:34 »
Hello there....I have a very crazy problem...that ressembles a lot with the one ian had....Well.i have a pc and a laptop...both having ethernet cards and a cable connection to the internet.Both have the same properties  and they are both cleaned un from virus and other..using ad-aware and a antivirus program..What is the problem?
The pc cannot connect to the internet..and at the same time the status of the lan is 'connected' i have packages sent but no one received...I The laptop from the other...has a perfect connection without any problem...I did tracert www.google.com for the laptop and i tried to ping that ip from the pc...nothing..the modem while is connected to the pc has no data light traffic...i dont know what can this be..Tomorrow i ll try to change the ethernet card of the pc..but i think it s a software program...At the device manager everything is ok
HELP....!!!

Offline JIMMY

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 23:39 »
I FORGOT BEFORE...THE LAPTOP HAS XP PRO AND THE PC XP...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 23:59 »
Hi Jimmy and :welcome:

Can you clarify just how your pc and laptop are connected to your modem and each other please.
I assume you have a usb modem to main pc and then an ethernet lead from main pc to laptop but would like confirmation just in case youre using something else  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum