Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: TSS...TSSS...SSS...Sound  (Read 2162 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
TSS...TSSS...SSS...Sound
« on: August 06, 2004, 05:51 »
Well, here's a new problem which I'm having on my PC since about a month:

My speakers are giving that low and very disturbing sound to my ears. That's about to make a hole inside them.

I changed the speakers for no avail.
Tested the connection..
Restored my PC by using the "Restoration CD"..
No change.   :(

I thought at first that it might be a programs conflict or some adds or virus !!!   Well,   nothing of that.

That sound starts as soon as I switch my computer on. Yes!  even before "Windows" starts.

It's similar to the sound of a "true mouse" (the animal).  (No hidden mouse though    ;)  ).   But it's much more disturbing to the ears.  It's like a "SAW" sawing in the head.

Sometimes, I hear it without doing anything. But some other times I hear it clearly when I move the mouse (the side bar).

If I increase the sound volume I hear some more other disturbing noises accompanying it. Like the sound of the fire burning the wood or the grass.

Any idea?

Thanks...
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:TSS...TSSS...SSS...Sound
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 09:41 »
Have you checked the speaker connections, Joudi?  Wiggle the wires into the back of each speaker, and check the plug into your sound card.  Maybe something has come loose.  Other than that, it sounds like possible interference from another electrical source.  The only thing tthat seems certain, is that it's not Windows related, as it's doing it before windows starts, presumably as soon as the speakers receive power.  But as you know, I'm no expert.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 10:04 »
Thanks Simon for the answer.

Well, in fact I thought of speakers connection to the sound card. They are well plugged. And to be more sure, I unplugged them completely and plugged other speakers which I have. It's the same result though.    :(

Well, maybe sound-Card problem or mother-Board. But I can listen to some more suggestions.

I don't like immediately to open the tower now (the case). it's full of plugged cables (on and around). Even if I do open it, I don't think I'll be able to see the problem by my simple eye. But I'll do that in case no other idea is there.

Any more idea will be welcome.

Thanks....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:49 »
It may be just a matter of opening the case, then removing and refitting the sound card, Joudi.  It's possible that dust has built up and is causing a problem with one of the contacts.  Whilst the soundcard is out, you could dust the contacts on the bottom edge of the card, and the slot on the motherboard, with a small, soft, non metallic, brush.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 11:58 »
well, maybe you're right Simon. But if my memory is ggod enough, I think that my sound-card is integrated in the mother-board.

To be more sure, I'm going to have a look.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 12:15 »
If I remember correctly Joudi, you have a via chipset in your pc.
If so try getting and installing the latest Via Hyperion drivers from :

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=403

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 13:04 »
Well Simon, as I said, my memory seems good enough in this domain. My Sound-Card is integrated in the mother-Board. But anyway, I tried to clean the plugging place. It's the same.

Sandra, I did according to your suggestion and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, nothing changed.  Thanks a lot.

Any more thoughts ?

Thanks...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 13:15 »
Maybe if you went into the device manager and uninstalled the sound drivers and let XP reinstall them as it reboots Joudi, I assume you have the driver cd that came with your pc for teh sound drivers ?
Although XP will probably have them for it anyway and install them for you  :)

You havent added any more equipment lately that could have caused the sound problem have you  ???

Adept

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 10:00 »
It sounds like you are getting electrical interfereence of some kind Youdi.

Have you added any new hardware to your PC recently?

Do you have a mobile telephone or DECT telephone basestation near your PC?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 10:07 »

Think me you Star Wars watch too much, Master.  ;)

Adept

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 10:35 »
Hmmm, too much Star Wars I view, Yes ;)

Apologies Joudi. It is still a bit early for me due to last night's :drunk: :banana:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 11:30 »

Have you added any new hardware to your PC recently?

Well, Yes adept (and Sandra). I added a new USB2/FIREWIRE card, about a month ago. In fact, it's the time almost of this problem. But I didn't notice that it caused it at that time. Maybe it happened because of it then. In fact, I don't remember exactly when it started, but I noticed it almost a month ago.

So, if it's that, what I should do then?

Thanks...

NB:
Apologies Joudi. It is still a bit early for me due to last night's

No need to apologise for humour Adept. I accept it gladly. Don't worry.

Do you want confirmation?  Well...

The interference was probably caused, not by "StarWar", but by "Tomb Raider", as I'm fan of it.    ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 12:34 »
Just remove it and see if it clears the problem Joudi  :)
If it does then we know what we are looking at and can see if we can find a solution such as moving it to the farthest away slot on your mobo from the sound chip or maybe moving any internal wires that connect to the card, if there are any  ???

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 01:06 »
I did open the tower. Removed the new "USB/FireWire" card. I tried by removing the other cards too, (graphic, modem and lan). I removed both DVD players. Also I removed the second HDD. Cleaned in their places too. no change at all when they were removed. So, the problem is still there.    :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 08:40 »
How strange.  It definitely sounds like electrical interference of some sort.  Is there anything else nearby, that could be causing it?  A cordless phone, or a mobile?  The only other thing I can think of to suggest is trying another set of speakers, if you have some, or could borrow some.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum