Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Defrag and Win MX  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Defrag and Win MX
« on: January 14, 2003, 15:30 »
How often doees everyone perform a defrag?  It's 2 months since I last did one and it said my HDD was 58% fragmented.  The main culprit appears to be WinMX according to Norton's Utilities.  Has anyone else found that WinMX fragments your drive?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Defrag and Win MX
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 15:38 »
No more than any other downloads Clive.As I understand it the more you download the more it scatters stuff about so you probably didnt get as much prior to getting BB  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 15:55 »
Thanks for that information Sandra.  So how often do you defrag?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 16:22 »
Very rarely these days Clive,I used to do it weekly and was advised against doing it so often.I did it last week probably for the first time in about 8 weeks  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 17:20 »
Yes, I probably defrag every couple of months as well.  I don't do it more
often because it takes so long, and I get itchy not being able to use my PC!!  

Just out of interest, for what reason were you advised not to defrag so often, Fred, sorry, Sandra?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 23:56 »
Apparently it can wear the drive out quicker for some reason Simon.But as with most PC related things no two "Experts" will agree on what is the best from the ones I have asked  ::)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 16:04 »
Clive,

my big brother reckons this is the best Defrag software on the market Diskeeper I'm using version 7.0410.1 which you set and forget, it defrags automatically as and when it is needed dependent on what you set it at.

Here's what came up when I opened the programe manually just now.

Findings on C:

Diskeeper has completed analysis of this volume and found 34 fragmented files and/or directories and 75 excess fragments.

The average number of fragments per file is 1.00.

On average, you have 0% excess fragments per file on this volume.  This is a slightly fragmented volume.  You should schedule Diskeeper to run at least once a day (if you haven't already done so) to keep fragmentation at a low level.

I sometimes see a little icon in the tool bar that means it is defraging, but it is only on for seconds, seen it about twice in 10 days.

You can dowload the freeware version which does what mine does. And although it explains all functions avaliable, it does not allow you to enable the 'set and forget option' Download the free one but don't rush out and buy the full blown one just yet, nod nod  ;) ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2003, 16:14 »
Thanks Tony, I will certainly do that.  I had a feeling that my disk was badly fragmented because the computer was running a lot slower than usual.  The defrag brought it back up to speed again so it goes to show that a defrag is an essential part of computer maintenance.  The only thing I don't understand is that even after the defrag is completed, there are still a few blocks kicking around where perhaps they oughtn't to be.  I assume that is caused by programs runing in the background and that the only correct way to defrag is from safe Mode.

Adept

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2003, 18:40 »

The only thing I don't understand is that even after the defrag is completed, there are still a few blocks kicking around where perhaps they oughtn't to be.  I assume that is caused by programs runing in the background and that the only correct way to defrag is from safe Mode.

There are some files which the built-in version of Defrag cannot access at all Clive, even in safe mode. Diskeeper is able put these file back in their place, as it uses more advanced technology.

We use Diskeeper at work to keep the servers in tip-top condition. As Tony says it works really well.

Thanks for that link BTW Tony, I wasn't aware that there was a freeware version of Diskeeper  :)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 22:22 »
Cheers chums, that's handy!  After Sean's endorsement I'm hoovering it up right now.  The defrag util that came with XP isn't exactly top-heavy with status information, is it.  So let's see if we do it properly now.   ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 22:32 »
I've just tried it, and it was surprisingly fast!  A good utility, Tony.  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 23:41 »
There's another great defragger in Vopt Defrag ... very fast and reliable.

I'll post the link when I've recovered from 5hrs of intensive brainstorming and the roughest flights I've ever had :(
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Barra

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 14:14 »
Tried diskeeper last night. 2 out of 3 times when I clicked on the "analize" button my system crashed:( . Think I'll stick with the built in one 'til a better one comes along. Dig out the "vopt" Dave!
img]http://www.sandrataylor.dsl.pipex.com/pennyfarthing_button.gif[/img]I'm back!

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2003, 05:05 »
Defrag? Whats defrag LOL. I dont defrag anymore since I moved to 2000 years ago. Does not improve overall performance anymore to any major level.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 14:24 »
Would you still use it if you were on 98 or ME though DB? Or have you never thought it to be worthwhile  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum