Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Bin the PC or fix it?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re:Bin the PC or fix it?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 20:20 »
I tried that it didn't work, maybe its called something else.  I even tried that dos thing Dack suggested and that didn't work lol argghhh!

I searched on sfc and system file checker the only thing that came up was sfc.dll .... dll?

I have norton doctor (oh you know that sandra 8) )  is there anything on there.
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 20:29 »
You could try running Norton Win Doctor, that may repair some problems, it wont do any harm even if it doesnt fix it  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 20:50 »
Norton's WinDoctor always repairs dozens of problems but never the one that's bugging you!   ;D

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 22:06 »
ME is the operating system that isn't fit to have it's install CD reused as a bird scarer.

However.

Starting from the beginning :)

The errors can be caused by  a myriad of things (especially on ME). Myself I blame Norton.

Some things to try:
a. Turn the graphics acceleration down a notch and see if the shell32.dll error re-occurs.

b. Check your installation of Office as that can begger it up. Try deleting the Normal.dot template. (Opening graphics problem)

c. Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2004 if you have it as that can mess it up. In fact get rid of/replace ALL Norton/Symantec software on the machine http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&threadm=22e3901c45e6d%24b5dcf720%24a601280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=10&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D0187%2BBFF8E64B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26scoring%3Dd - All three problems

One that was particularly relevant:
If you have Norton System Doctor installed on your Win Me based machine
If you have the Symantec Norton System Doctor running be sure to disable it while you are updating your Win Me componants as Sys Dr. will conflict witht the installation process. See the below section for more instruction of Norton System Doctor.

From http://www.uninets.net/~blaisdel/Millennium2.html

d. Dodgy Ram chips. Run memtest86
etc.........

Easiest solution is still to install a better operating system and then burn the ME disc just in case it infects any other machine in the area.

And Millenium doesn't have SFC as it thinks it knows better with it's file protection system.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 22:48 »
Easiest solution is still to install a better operating system and then burn the ME disc just in case it infects any other machine in the area.

Easier said then done.  See here. :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 22:58 »
Thanks for all that Dack  ..... right .....

a) I had done this but I put it down another notch...

Same

b) I'd already done this as I saw it somewhere.

c) only had norton utilitys but I uninstalled that.

Same except the blue screen error now reads slightly different but the DLL prob still there.

d) I didn't understand that bit - I tried putting that in run but it didn't recognise it.

Yes I know everyone says its ME and I've been told many times to just get rid of it. But with the SP2 queries on XP I've been holding back.  :-\

I've been searching the net for hours looking for these problems and I've not found anything with the exact messages ... I found a log file of error messages ....

They start with this one

SHELLMON caused a general protection fault
in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:00003c5d

And alot of the others are like this but with different DLL's

EXPLORER caused a stack fault in module SHELL32.DLL at 0187:7fbd335b.

I've just been ignoring them  8) but now I can't get into MY PICTURES its annoying me.  ;D

ooooh that was a long one! Misses  ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 23:23 »
Michelle,

I had similar problems as yourself and as you know, I have winme also.
I was trying everything to sort things out as I only have restore discs as well and they wipe your HD.  I accidently clicked on windowsetup.exe thinking it might show me something and I managed to re-install windows on top of itself.  I didn't lose any of my files and everything still worked.  I don't know if you want to try this or not but don't blame me if it doesn't work for you. The only problem I had after the re-install was I had to logon again but that can be overcome also.  If the logon screen comes up don't click off just hit return without putting in a password and everything should be ok.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 14:11 »
hmmm might be worth a try, I'll see what else I can find out first though.

Thanks lona

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum