Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Numeric Keypad  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Newbie KEH

Numeric Keypad
« on: October 19, 2004, 15:48 »
The numeric keypad on my keyboard locks up and refuses to type with or without the Numbers Lock on. All other keys works. The key pad works fine on another computer! Is it a motherboard problem? Strange prob. The board is MSI P4MAM-V. Anyone please help. Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Numeric Keypad
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 16:33 »
Which version of Windows are you using?  According to Microsoft, the Windows 2000 keyboard driver may or may not handle toggling NUM LOCK, CAPS LOCK, and SCROLL LOCK correctly. This can cause the keyboard status to be incorrect or cause the keyboard to freeze.

To fix this problem, install Service Pack 2 for Windows 2000.

If you are not using W2K, maybe reinstalling your keyboard might help anyway?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Newbie KEH

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 00:43 »
TQ Simon for your reply.
I am using Windows XP Pro with SP 2 installed. Actually earlier on the num keypad was working! Then suddenly it didn't work any more. Could it be a M/B problem? I'm trying to solve it so I don't have to carry it to the shop for repair.
Thanks. BTW how do I re-install the keyboard? Connections are ok. Any software to install?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 02:35 »
Is it a non standard keyboard that came with a drivers disk ?
If its a standard ps2 one you could go into Device Manager and uninstall it from there and then when you reboot it will automatically reinstall it for you, if its a special office type keyboard with a drivers disk it will need that for the extra functions  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 07:47 »
  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Newbie KEH

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 18:44 »
Thanks Sandra and Simon.
Couldn't fimd anything wrong with the K/B either.
Out of desperation I re-installed XP and that appeared to solve the prob! Probably the OS "lost" a file.And this is not the first time too. So much for micro$oft. After all these years and all the resources they have, they still can't produce a stable and more user-friendly OS. Cheers! ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum