Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Setting up a microphone  (Read 775 times)

Offline arthurb

Setting up a microphone
« on: January 21, 2005, 16:35 »
I bought a microphone for my pc and thought that I'd be able to plug it in and XP would do the rest. However, this didn't work. What should I do?

Also I've noticed that I don't get any sound via headphones from my disc drives. Is this normal or do I require drivers etc?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Setting up a microphone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 18:13 »
As regards the headphones thing, I had a similar problem some time ago, Arthur.  Try this:-

Right click My Computer (on Desktop), and select Manage.

Navigate to Device Manager > DVD/CD ROM Drives.

Select the drive you want to use headphones with, then right click it and select Properties.

Select the Properties tab, and untick the 'Enable Digital CD Audio' box.

You should then be able to use headphones with that drive, with Windows Media Player.

Not sure about the mic issue - where are you plugging it in?  It maybe that the front connections on your case are not actually connected up inside the case.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Setting up a microphone
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 12:55 »
I think that the microphone is muted by default so as not to cause feedback.
Right click on the loudspeaker icon in your task bar and select Open Volume Control.
Go to Options/Properties and select Recording, check that Microphone is ticked, click Ok and then the Control Box will have changed to the recording screen, check to see if Microphone is muted, if it is untick it and that should sort it  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum