Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hard drive problems  (Read 702 times)

Offline BIG_J

Hard drive problems
« on: February 15, 2005, 18:05 »
i just got a new cpu for break and about a week back from break it crashes with a fatal error. i ended up wiping everything off the cpu and reinstalled everything.  works perfectly.  except for my hard drives. i originally had a scsi seagate 75 gig hard drive running my cpu with a 40gig ide/ata hard drive as additional storage. after my cpu crashed the 75 gig disk was recognized as not installed, so i reinstalled xp on my 40 gig.  i found the software to install my 75 gig, but everytime it goes to format and making a partition it has a fatal error and restarts. what do i do?  also i have a cd with raid drivers on it but the store i bought this cpu says i dont need it.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
ith all there is, there is nothing.  Nothingness plagues us everyday.  Everyday nothingness consumes all leaving the void which cannot be filled.  The void, that eternal darkness seeps out from the cracks and devours all the light leaving only nothingness to consume all.  Nothingness is everything

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Hard drive problems
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 00:04 »
A bit of a long shot but I just had a pc with a strange burning dvd problem that turned out to be XP had installed its own mobo drivers for the IDE controller and had set the hard drive and cd and dvd writers up as scsi devices when they were IDE ones. I updated the IDE controller to the correct ones for the mobo and it recognised them correctly as IDE and burned ok.
Maybe yours is set for IDE and not the SCSI drivers for the controller  :?:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum