Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Uninstalling graphics card  (Read 10819 times)

Offline neil.gc2

Uninstalling graphics card
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2006, 23:22 »
Sorry, i should have said, i have tried safe mode and tried enable VGA but the both fail.
Safe mode produces a list of drivers and then stops.
Enable VGA produces the Windows XP screen and then a blank.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2006, 00:20 »
Sometimes it can take a while to get into safe mode after the last driver is listed, have you waited at that point to see if it continues into safe mode properly ?

You wont be able to install the drivers in safe mode though but it may help you to see whats going on.

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2006, 20:28 »
Hi,

thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

i have tried safe mode again today.  The list of drivers comes to a stop. i left the pc for over an hour and it was still the same, a screen full of driver names.

Should I have waited longer? or is an hour ample time and I need to try something else?

Thanks again.
Neil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 21:08 »
You've got the same problem as me with the safe mode thing, Neil, and I haven't found a solution yet.

I'm not sure whether this is the right suggestion, so you might want to wait for  confirmation from someone else, but when you get the boot menu up, as if you are going into safe mode, is there an option to use 'Last known good configuration'?  
That might be worth a try, as it restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully.  More info here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852&sd=tech
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 21:18 »
Hi Simon,

thanks for this.

Yes there is the option for last known good config.  I tried this yesterday but it did not work.
A colleague in work has suggested i try using the XP windows disk and try booting from the CD.
have you any knowledge of this.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2006, 21:25 »
Limited, as it's ages since I had to do it, but I know you can boot from a full Windows CD, and hit 'R' at the Welcome screen, to go into the Recovery console.  More info here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

It does look quite complicated, but often these things are easier than they first appear.  Sandra is the expert on this, so hopefully she will be along soon, as I'm slightly out of my depth here.  :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 23:46 »
I would say that if it hangs at the last driver for more than 10 minutes thenits not going to go into safe mode  :(

Rather than use the recovery console, the Fix MBR command would probably be the best option in that, I would open the case up and use the clear cmos jumper to reset bios defaults.
I think that theres a conflict between the onboard and new gfx card thats causing your problem.

If that still doesnt cure the problem then you will possibly have to try the recovery console option.

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2006, 09:43 »
Hi Sandra,

How do I reset the cmos jumper?

And where do I enter the Fix MBR command?

Thanks again.
 :cry:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2006, 12:01 »
It varies from motherboard to motherboard but usually its close to the battery on the motherboard.
If you open your case up and can find the make and model number of the mothboard then maybe I can find a picture of it to be certain.

If you dont know about it there are 3 pins that the jumper can fit on.
one position connects pin nos 1 and 2 and the other position connects pins 2 and 3.
Once you identify the clear cmos jumper, with the power off, pull the jumper off and replace it so that it connects the central pin with the opposite end to the one that was connected.
Leave it for a few seconds then move it back to the original position.

The bios is now reset to as it was when it left the factory.

If the pc still isnt right after that and you decide to use the recovery console then go to Simoms link from his earlier post.
Read down to the part about the fix MBR and do as it says.
The reason that it looks a little complicated is because it covers all the commands, the only one that you should require is the Fix MBR one so you can skip the previous and later ones  :)

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2006, 11:36 »
hi,

I tried fixmbr....quite a simple task but didn't make any difference.

I think I may have found what has caused the problem..  

Before buying the graphics card i ran Everest (A diagnositics package) which confirmed that my PSU was 300w.   The graphics cards states a min requirement of 300W

Now that i have investigated further with the machine opened up, what looks like the PSU has 200W on the side of it.

Do you think this may be the cause and if so what damage may be done and would the machine be repairable??

Many thanks again.
Neil

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2006, 12:14 »
Have you tried removing the new card, setting the BIOS to boot from the onboard graphics, and see if it will boot into Windows, or safe mode?  You should then be able to reload the drivers for the onboard graphics from the motherboard CD (if you have one), or by going to the motherboard manufacturers website and downloading the graphics drivers.  If you are really lucky, Windows may have saved the drivers, and it may just be a case of updating them from Device Manager.  Sorry if this seems like going round in circles.  If successful, you should be back to square one, and can perhaps consider getting a more powerful PSU.

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2006, 14:12 »
Hi,

I have completely formatted the hard drive and re installed xp from new.

It worked.   I'm going through the process of installing drivers for sounds cards, etc.  Will try the new graphics card again now.

Nice to confirm that the system isn't ruined.  
Many thanks for all your help.

What a fantastic forum.

Neil

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2006, 14:25 »
It should create a restore point each time you install the drivers but just in case it doesnt then tell it to make one.
That way when you try and use the new GFX card again if it screws up you can just restore to the previous state, hopefully  :)

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2006, 14:42 »
Graphics card up and running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to Reanne for the instructions on how to install on a dell dimension.

And big thanks to everyone who helped get me my machine back.

:P  :P  :P  :D  :D  :D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2006, 14:48 »
Good news  :)

I wonder why the procedure is so complicated on the Dell pcs  :?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum