Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC keeps freezing  (Read 8768 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2005, 02:50 »
Hi Sarah, as I thought earlier the only protocol you need for the internet is the TCP/IP one.

I have just read that the DCOM thing is installed automatically by XP and isnt needed either, unless youre networking with another pc. Dont bother about that though, even though it was one of the error messages you got.
I think that once you only have TCP/IP left then that wont be used anyway  :)  

If you can face doing it again you could always reinstall XP again, deleting the partition like last time and then creating it and dont run the networking wizard this time.
When you plug the ethernet lead in it should just connect to the net without installing the other protocols for the LAN.
That seems a bit drastic though as I am sure you can just uninstall the unwanted network protocols  :)

Offline SarahR

PC keeps freezing
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2005, 22:47 »
Well i did what you said yesterday morning and left it on all night last night and all day today (with music video's on repeat!)
It hasn't froze once! I'm guessing the problem has been fixed!
I would just like to thank you for all your help, you've been very patient with me!
If i get any more problems i will post back.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2005, 23:04 »
Thats great but still puzzling Sarah.

Strangely enough I have been having problems with a friends pc for the last week or so doing strange things like yours.
I told him earlier this evening to try disabling the networking protocols apart from the TCP/IP one as hes using a router but doesnt share files that much.

I would love to find out, if his sorts itself out, just why yours and his is being funny with the networking sharing being used  :?

Offline SarahR

PC keeps freezing
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2005, 16:05 »
Yes, very puzzling! but i'm just pleased its back to it's old self again and i don't have to buy a new PC.
Just one quick final question, didnt wanna open a new thread cos its probably an easy question
my friend has just been given a PC with windows 98 on and wants to upgrade to XP but doesnt want to format cos theres a lot of stuff on there he wants to keep. Is this possible without leaving 98 on the hard drive as well? If theres another thread relevant, just post the link!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2005, 17:19 »
You can get an 'Upgrade' version of XP, which does install over the top of an existing Windows 98 installation, but most people will say it's better to back up everything that is being kept, format the disc and do a clean installation of XP.  This might be of some use:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline SarahR

PC keeps freezing
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2005, 15:43 »
hi all, i'm back again!
My pc's started freezing again...
It froze twice last night and again just now. If its any help, i was downloading and listening to music each time it froze. Was looking at the event viewer before my pc froze last time and the two yellow warnings were up 30 mins before it actually froze. They were:
Source: tcpip
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Source: Dhcp
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001150777B51.  The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Then 30 mins later when it froze the red error came up:
Source: Service control manager
The IPSEC Services service terminated with the following error:
The authentication service is unknown.

The same thing pretty much happened last night too.

And it was going so well.....
Almost 24 hours without a problem.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2005, 15:59 »
Sorry to hear that Sarah, I thought wed manage to sort it  :(

There was something I posted earlier in this thread about removing the maximum limit of concurrent TCP/IP connection attempts which for some reason was only introduced with SP2.
I will see if I can find it and then you can remove the limit and see if that cures the current problem.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2005, 16:07 »
Ok heres the link :

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Theres a patch that you can download at the bottom of the article that when applied will restore it to how it used to be with SP1 by the looks of it.

That may help to finally cure it with any luck  :)

Offline SarahR

PC keeps freezing
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2005, 16:14 »
Ok, i changed the limit to 50, is that ok?
I'm pretty sure i've done that before but i'm not sure how long ago it was so i'll give it a try!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2005, 16:28 »
I have had a look around for information on this :

The IPSEC Services

I dont think you need it, it seems to be for servers behind a NAT enabled router.

Go into Admin Tools/Services and scroll down IPSEC Services Double click on it and change the Startup Type to Disabled.

If it wont connect to the net again then you will have to set it back to automatic but as I said I dont think that you require it  :)

Offline SarahR

PC keeps freezing
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2005, 18:58 »
It froze again! came up with the same tcpip problem. shall i change the limit to more?
i also did what you said about IPSEC services

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2005, 19:08 »
Was it just the TCP/IP connection attempts limit exceeded this time and no other message ?

Offline SarahR

PC keeps freezing
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2005, 19:09 »
yeah, it was just that message that pops up

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2005, 19:24 »
Well it seems that it was unlimited before SP2 so maybe it needs a lot higher limit  :?

I am a little surprised that its trying to connect so often as to exceed the limits when you have a router.
I would have thought that the router would have blocked most connection attempts.
Have you opened some extra ports in your router for some programs such as P2P that you no longer use or disabled your NAT or DMZ if your router has that feature ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
PC keeps freezing
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2005, 20:39 »
Sorry to interrupt, but couldn't the excessive number of connection attempts indicate something more sinister going on in the background?  I'm not sure how well we could decipher it, Sarah, but have you ever used Hijack This, or X-RayPC?  Both of these programs tell you in detail, what's running in the background, and might be worth a look.

Hijack This
x-raypc
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum