Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Transferring Files to another PC.  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Conrad

Transferring Files to another PC.
« on: October 03, 2005, 19:38 »
Is there a USB type transfer cable I can buy to link two PC's?

I want to copy some large movie files off my PC onto my Laptop that has a DVD writer (when my Laptop is fixed - see other thread! :D )

The files are too big for CD and I didn't want to buy one of them USB memory sticks as they're quite expensive for the size I'd need.

Cheers!

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 22:50 »
i expect there is, though higher transfer rates can be achieved by using an ethernet connection (i.e. a home network)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 00:21 »
There are usb to usb link devices but as Sam says youd be better off using ethernet, pci cards are quite cheap and easy to fit and set up if your pc hasnt got ethernet.
I assume that your laptop has ethernet, if not you can get a pcmcia card for it with ethernet on it  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 07:56 »
Both the PC and Laptop have Ethernet, do I just buy an Ethernet cable and link the two? Or will I need some sort of software as well?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 13:25 »
Just a Crossed ethernet cable will do it, make sure its not a Straight one.
PC to PC use crossed, PC to router or modem use Straight.

If one or more pc is on XP then no external software is needed.
Just plug the cable in and run the network connection wizard.

The way youre doing it you need to select the option for this pc connects directly to the net and other pcs connect through this one, then select file and printer sharing on. This is running the wizard on the pc that has the modem first.
When it finsihes you can either let it make a floppy for you , only necessary if the other pc on the network doesnt run XP, or just select finish.
Go to pc no 2 and use the floppy if its non XP or if its XP run the wizard and this time select this computer connects to the net through another pc and then select File and Printer sharing and finish when it ends the process.

You probably need to reboot each pc after running the wizard to finalise the setup and you may have to configure your firewall on each pc to allow the network to work properly but basically thats all there is to it  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 14:19 »
As always, many thanks for your help Sandra! :thanks:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum