Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Monitor Problems  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Monitor Problems
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 23:29 »
Depends on the guarantee they give I supose and how much youre saving over a brand new one.

Make sure you check carefully for dead pixels before you buy one  :)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Monitor Problems
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 08:56 »
Now listen to yer uncle cammy y'all  :cowboy:

Have a look at www.ebuyer.com as they offer pretty unbeatable prices on the whole and i've used them for years without any problems  :beach:

On the odd occasion if you get a fault then they have a returns procedure that if you follow takes about a week to return and get a replacement out or you can huff and puff and rant and rave  :tony: emailing them every five minutes ranting and raving and it still takes a week to sort out  :D  :D  :D

Anyone seen Tony recently  :whistle:  :wink:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Monitor Problems
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 11:14 »
Quote from: "Camstop"

The last I heard was that he was busy at this time of year helping Santa get the toys ready for delivery, something about problems with the national elf service  :)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
Monitor Problems
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 16:54 »
Quote from: "Sandra"

The last I heard was that he was busy at this time of year helping Santa get the toys ready for delivery

I hope he has plenty of dummies and teddies  :dunno:   talking of teddies, anyone seen TR lately  :whistle:   :mrgreen:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Monitor Problems
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 17:41 »
:cow:   :slug:  :bitch:  :censored:  :scoot:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Monitor Problems
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 20:29 »
Ah... there he is!  :grin:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
Monitor Problems
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2005, 23:43 »
Refurb or recertified LCDs are not too bad sometimes. My office got some 15" IBM/Samsung panels and sold out at $150CDN I guess thats around £75 they seemed fine. But then again with a offlease/recert LCD your usually getting older display tech and much higher display latency. Most LCDs these days report 8ms-16ms even though their performance is never on par with what they report also alot of manufactures dont show the same rt from gray to gray or white to black. Also if your getting an LCD you want to make sure it has a DVI input on it since this improves image quality signifigantly (as long as you have a DVI on your video card that is). I recently purchased a Dell 2405FPW which uses the 24" Samsung LCD with a 8MS reported rt but its more like 16MS which is fine. You can get a Samsung 740B 17" LCD it has a DVI and reported 8MS which is good plus its a relatively good price at $310CDN ~= £150 and its a samsung which make the best panels around (IMO)

Only found one review on the unit (Via Google "Samsung 740B review") I am sure you can find more with a bit of looking but it may not be very common since it is a newer unit)

Review link: http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews5/740b.html

As for the tint on the display you can do some correction to help the issue with software by adjusting your tint levels perhaps the panel also has some controls for the saturation and blanaces. Red tints can show on low level saturation tests also. It may also be caused by the Analog to digital converter built into the display. Try to fiddle with the colour warmth settings if avail in monitor and the settings in your OS.

Windows: in your display properties -> settings -> advanced (your display drivers may give you control over the colour dispaly.

Apple: System Preferences -> Display -> Color Tab (just arrow up and down the list of Display profiles and see if any improve the colour) if not use the Calibrate wizard and select expert mode to truly have full control over calibration.

Note its mainly the white point value your concerened with since it will have the greatest effect.

Best of luck.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Monitor Problems
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 11:48 »
Now listen to yer uncle cammy y'all  :cowboy:

On the odd occasion if you get a fault then they have a returns procedure that if you follow takes about a week to return and get a replacement out or you can huff and puff and rant and rave  :tony: emailing them every five minutes ranting and raving and it still takes a week to sort out  :D  :D  :D

YOU RANG ?

Nar Cammy's got it all wrong :roll: :wink:

If you receive faulty goods from a supplier or they are not as advertised, it is the suppliers responcibility to replace or refund your money whichever you the customer so choose to accept. Not fob you off to the manufacture and absolve themselves of all liability.

In my case [a monitor] was not only faulty, but it was not as advertised a flatscreen. It was a curve screen sat behind a lump of flat glass, hence it had a  massive mask around the edges of the viewable screen. Beleive me pointing out the error of their ways under the Sale of Goods acts in an email or two or three does pay dividens
   :wink:
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Monitor Problems
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 11:51 »
Glad to see ya back Tony  :D  :wink:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum