Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet phone calls big in 2006  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Internet phone calls big in 2006
« on: January 04, 2006, 13:21 »
January 3, 2006
Veronique De Freitas

More and more people are planning to sign up to services that let you make phone calls over the internet, according to new research.

A study by Wanadoo predicts that VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology will be the 'must have' service in 2006, with 10 million Brits expected to sign up.

More than half of web users in the UK will make phone calls via the net by 2010, the study claims.

According to Wanadoo's figures, VoIP will be the most popular among people in their fifties with 25 per cent expected to embrace the new technology.

Wanadoo also predicts that 32 per cent of Scottish internet users will use the internet to call their friends and relatives.

Philip Mehl, Wanadoo's UK managing director of sales and communications, said: ?Every year has its iconic gadgets and technology, in 1986, it was the car phone and 1996 was the web. With VoIP calls trend set to continue into 2006, Brits need look no further for the latest technology must-have.?

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 14:16 »
I thought we had all started using the likes of 18866 and 1899 already  :dunno:

If you ain't i'd sugest it's worth a look especially if your a BT customer.  :whistle:  :wink:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 20:21 »
Quote from: "Camstop"
I thought we had all started using the likes of 18866 and 1899 already  :dunno:

If you ain't i'd sugest it's worth a look especially if your a BT customer.  :whistle:  :wink:

And don't forget, if you are like me and prefer to have the bare minimum of bills to pay, you might want to consider Telediscount.   They are very cheap too, with the added bonus that there is no registering or sign up.  You just dial the Telediscount access number, wait for the prompt, dial the usual number, and the call is charged to your BT bill at Telediscount's cheaper rate, hence no extra bill.

P.S. Cammy.  Short of moving to a non-rip-off country (in other words anywhere but Britain) I don't suppose you know any cheaper alternatives to the local parasite..... err, I mean Council Tax?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum