Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: UK cities go Wi-Fi  (Read 847 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
UK cities go Wi-Fi
« on: January 05, 2006, 22:33 »
January 5, 2006
Veronique De Freitas

Nine UK cities, including London, Birmingham, Oxford and Liverpool, will soon be the first to offer widespread Wi-Fi to residents.

UK ISP Cloud has already created a number of wireless hotspots in the UK, but is planning to deploy widespread wireless broadband networks in UK cities by March 2006.

According to the company, hundreds of Wi-Fi hotzones will be rolled out in UK city centres including Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, and Nottingham, with more cities to be announced throughout 2006.

It is estimated around 4 million people will be able to access the hot-spots. The networks will be available to users of BT Openzone, O2, Skype Zones and Nintendo Wi-Fi, but The Cloud hopes that other service providers will want to join the party.

George Polk, chief executive of The Cloud, said: "Providing ubiquitous wireless broadband access, over a network that is available to millions of Wi-Fi devices, and will be available to the new generation of WiFi phones, gaming devices, and other applications, will have a major impact on the way people communicate, work and play in city centres."

Offline sam

• Administrator
UK cities go Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 22:49 »
... lets get them on the trains... so i can stream to my laptop! :-)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
UK cities go Wi-Fi
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 09:09 »
It's bound to happen sooner or later.  I understand they will be installing it on planes in the near future too.

Offline sam

• Administrator
UK cities go Wi-Fi
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:45 »
excellent, maybe then we will start catching up with japan.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum