Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Just bought a new monitor...  (Read 8736 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Just bought a new monitor...
« on: January 07, 2006, 16:15 »
What do you think...?

Details
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 16:26 »
Shocked that you didn't already have one!   :laugh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 18:31 »
Flash southern git  :P

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 18:39 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Flash southern git  :P

Wish I'd thought of that!  :twisted:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 18:43 »
Well, to be honest, and to annoy Sandra, my existing CRT monitor still performs without any problems at all, and I have no reason for buying this, other than as a late Christmas present for myself.  I was wandering round one of those retail parks the other day, as I had an hour to kill before an appointment, ended up in PC World,  :horror:  
and of course, the evils of temptation befell upon me.  :twisted:  I was originally going to go for a Sony, but I like this one better.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 21:04 »
An added bonus is that you will be able to ditch the fork lift truck you have to use when you want to clean underneath it.   :laugh:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 00:07 »
How come it displays a picture of tree branches when it isn't even plugged in?  I hope you get different pictures when it is plugged in.

;)

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 00:14 »
If you click the link, Gill, you'll see it displays orange flowers as well!  :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 22:08 »
Well, I have to say, I'm not over impressed with this new monitor.  The picture on my (at least) 6 year old CRT was at least consistant.  With this one, unless you are looking dead straight onto the centre of the screen, the colours are quite iffy.  I have also found that my favourite 800 x 600 resolution now looks HUGE, although I see no reason why it should, as it is also a 17", the same as my CRT.  I have tried the higher resolutions, but that then looks too small, and adjusting the text and icon sizes doesn't seem to look right either.  I now have a headache, after being on here for about 2 hours, whereas on my old monitor, I have spent virtually whole days in front of it, without any effects.  Now, after looking at the screen for a few seconds, particularly as I type this in the white text box, I have to wait for my eyes to adjust, so I can see the keyboard!  And talking of text, it was clearer on my old monitor, and at least didn't have this white edging round it.   I'm also not happy with the blacks, which are not black, but grey, and no amount of contrast / brightness tweaking seems to remedy this.  Is this how these TFT monitors  are supposed to be?   If so, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone, and in fact, this one may well be going on eBay before long.  :(

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 23:20 »
Quote from: "Simon"
If so, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone, and in fact, this one may well be going on eBay before long.  :(

There's a 5p listing day tomorrow  :P  :laugh:

DJ

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 23:33 »
I think it's just the "shock of the new" Simon.  TFT's are very different to the CRT's and the colours are nowhere near as rich.  But the newer ones are much better than the first generation versions which suffered from slow refresh rates.  This Samsung is now a year old and I'm very pleased with it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 23:39 »
I think I'd want more than 5p for it!  Oh, I see what you mean - lol!  :laugh:  I've just changed it from digital to analogue mode, to see if that makes any difference.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 00:03 »
Umm...  :blush2:  I've just discovered the brightness and contrast controls on the Nvidia control panel.  Those have a lot more effect than the controls on the monitor.  Might be OK now.  :whistle:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 00:20 »
Sorry Clive, didn't see your post before.  Yes, well it's certainly a shock!  It's much better now that I have adjusted the controls on the graphics card, but I'm still seeing discolouration at ths sides of the screen.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 00:25 »
No LCD or Plasma will come near a CRT for performance Simon, yet.

There is a flat panel solution on the horizon from Toshiba called SED.

I think Clive posted something about it earlier this week.

Whether this will filter down into pc monitors or TVs at affordable prices remains to be seen however as Toshiba/Canon who are developing it have patented it and arent allowing anyone else to make or develop it under licence  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum