Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows XP System Restore  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Windows XP System Restore
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:51 »
Has anyone ever had any success with using System Restore?

Every time I have tried to use this, it says "Unable to restore your system to this point". It dosent matter which point I choose the answer is the same. Its been a complete waste of time all round.

I used to use "Go Back", but had some problems with pc freezing etc, so took it out.

Could it be because I use a couple of cleaning applications, like Ashampoo Optimizer, or Tune up Utilities 2006, wiping the restore points?

:x  :x
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:44 »
I've always found it hit and miss.  It always seems to fail when you most critically need it.   :evil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 11:22 »
Its never worked on any of my pcs when I wanted it but usually works ok on other peoples pcs that I have installed XP on  :?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 13:19 »
You have to make sure it's activated first.  It may be switched off by default.  The other thing is that if you are going to install something a bit scary you should create a restore point before you start.  I've had success with it several times in the past.  But I've also had failures too such as on Saturday when my son deleted Outlook Express and IE from Mrs Clive's computer!  It went through the motions of working but I had to reinstall the software from the Windows disc.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 17:20 »
Yes its activated, but it would appear then that is a waste off time!

What do you guys think of "Go Back" is it worth reinstalling that or not?

:D  :D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 18:13 »
I havent tried that but I have just done a clean install on my new pc and installed all the programs and updated everything that I usually use.

I then installed PowerQuests Drive Image 2002 and made an image of C.

That way if I have any problems I can quickly format C and restore it from the image file that is saved on one of my slave drives.
I also burned it to a DVD in case my slave drive fails.

If I can discipline myself to do it, I am thinking of wiping my C drive every 6 months or so, restore it with that image, update and add anything thats not already on the image and make a new image of C.

If I can do that every 6 months or so then I should have a nice clean pc with a back up ready in case of any problems to, at the most, 6 months earlier  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 18:14 »
I'm not familiar with Go Back but since you have it anyway it's worth re-installing.  I am of the opinion (possibly wrongly!  :laugh: ) that many of these utilities programs are no more than a friendly interface for accessing stuff that is already inbuilt into Windows.  System Restore is buried in Windows and not easy to find whereas Go Back will be a desk top icon.  I guess I'm a bit of a cynic.   :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 19:24 »
I have a feeling that Go Back takes an image of your drive, so if drive space is an issue, it might not be for you.  I could be totally wrong though.  Tony is an advocate of Go Back, so if he sees this, he may be able to give you some more info.  In the meantime, there are a couple of reviews here, which seem to indicate that version 3.0 is better than the latest one.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re: Windows XP System Restore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 23:27 »
Acronis True Image 10 google it. free trial avaliable, I liked it so much I bought a copy. Power Quest 2003 stopped working for me, with error message 1805 ......shortage of disc space .......170GB free space last time I looked, of course Symantec  killed it off after buying it out. GoBack was fine, GoBack deluxe was better, worked on the same principle as XP restore.  But what you really need is a stored image, nobody should be short of storage space at todays prices.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 00:05 »
Who rattled your cage Tony  :o

Nice to see you back at long last  :hny:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 00:08 by Sandra »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 01:15 »
Yes, better late than never, mate!  :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 01:16 »
Yes, better late than never, bruv!  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum