Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Arctic Cooling for CPU and VGA  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Arctic Cooling for CPU and VGA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 19:58 »
Nice.  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Mac

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 21:01 »
Nice bit of equipment, so I've added it to the Reference list as I have had it recommended many times.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 22:47 »
I fitted one in my new pc in the hope that it would run quieter.
Unfortunately after I ordered it I realised that the noisiest part of my pc is the fan on the GFX card  :shock:

Havent noticed much difference in temperature or noise over the original Intel supplied heatsink/fan to be honest.
It does run at slower RPM when the pc is at idle so maybe it will be quieter/cooler when the pc is working harder though.

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Common fault(s)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:11 »
There are also silencing kits available for the box itself. Alloy boxes tend to be quieter, as aluminium is a fairly dead material compared to sheet metals.

I used to get a buzzing from my box as it stands on a wooden desk. In fact the buzzing was caused by resonance through the desk. Moving the box slightly made a lot of difference.

Common fault with the wiring is that the plugs which go into the back of the box are not strong enough to support the weight of the wiring. Over time with alternate hot summers/cold winters the plastic plugs will work their way loose and at a certain moment cause arcing with the pins in the power supply so it's a good idea to support the weight of the wiring so that  it isn't pulling downwards on the plug(s).

Just one of the common ways of losing the Power Supply Unit.

You mentioned some B&Q self adhesive cable ties Sandra, are they strong enough for this job?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:35 »
Yes they are even better than I expected.
I have had problems with self adhesive pads on various things before but these are very firmly stuck in place.
They have a lift up tag that wraps around the cables and holds them very securely and the pads themselves are very well stuck to the case  :)

Offline Mac

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 15:26 »
Have seen a case here where the left hand panel houses a 240mm fan taking up most of the side panel blowing air onto the board.

That should push the dust in nicely...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum