Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: xp sound drivers  (Read 3351 times)

Offline ben21

xp sound drivers
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:46 »
hello got a small problem,my windows xp sound drivers were removed badly,thus i cant seem to have the cd which had the device drivers,the name of  the driver is sis 7021 audio driver,but now,when i went to the internet and downloaded a similar named driver,and tried ti install it,it  brings me an error  saying that the driver cant be installed because their is another service using the same name ...HEEEEELP..

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
xp sound drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:23 »
Have you removed the original drivers in Device Manager?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
xp sound drivers
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 13:17 »
Is it a pci sound card or an onboard one ?

If its a pci one you could uninstall from the device manager as Simon says then shut down and physically remove the card and restart.
Then shut down again and replace the card and see if windows can find the correct drivers by itself or maybe windows update can find it, or use the new drivers that you downloaded as whichever service is trying to use it hopefully wont be running.

If its onboard then again remove from the device manager and before restarting go into the bios and disable the onboard audio.
After its rebooted shut it down again and re enable the onboard audio and see if it will reinstall the drivers as for the pci above.

Offline ben21

xp sound drivers update
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:25 »
well its an  onboard sound card,let me go through the bios thing andwill get back to you...

Offline soulboy

No sound on my PC!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:50 »
Right out of the blue, I can no longer hear the music being played on my (HP( desktop - I've checked that the "mute" button on the keyboard is 'off',
and that the volume controls are all OK, but still no sound.  Also, checked "sounds" in the control panel, and everything there seems to be fine too.

I've absolutely no idea as to how this could've happened, as I'd not been doing anything out of the ordinary on the machine. so any suggestions as to how to check/rectify the situation would be most welcome.

Cheers ... soulboy

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
xp sound drivers
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 13:03 »
I assume that you have powered speakers ?

If so check that the power supply to them hasnt failed.
Have you got some headphones that you could try in the output in place of the speakers to eliminate a speaker problem ?

Offline soulboy

xp sound drivers
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 13:59 »
Sandra,

If by "powered" speakers you mean are the speakers built in on each side of the flat-panel monitor, then yes, they are.  I will try your headphones suggestion tonight, and report back.

Thanks ... soulboy

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
xp sound drivers
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 14:23 »
No I was thinking of the seperate speakers that are usually run from a mains adaptor.

Its still worth checking that the output is ok by using another set of speakers or headphones though.

If the audio has gone after a reboot then often another reboot will fix it, sometimes the drivers dont seem to load for some reason.

Offline Mac

• Established Member
xp sound drivers
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 14:48 »
Is the card properly seated? I have had a sound card fall out of its seat in the motherboard on one ocassion.

Offline soulboy

xp sound drivers
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 09:03 »
Well, at the weekend, I tried the re-boot a few times, verified that headphones work OK, and re-loaded the audio drivers ... still not getting any sound from the speakers!!

I've checked and re-checked everything I can think of, and have trawled thru various "help" pages, without success, so any other suggestions as to what's gone wrong here would be gratefully rec'd.

Cheers ... soulboy

Offline Simon

• Administrator
xp sound drivers
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 10:56 »
Could it be something as simple as a connection error?  Have you checked that you are plugging the speakers in to the right output on the soundcard, and that you have the speakers wired correctly?  Sorry if this sounds like stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious can be overlooked.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
xp sound drivers
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 13:07 »
If the headphones are working ok in the same socket as the speakers then it sounds like your speakers have packed up  :(

It may be an internal wiring fault in the monitor, or it may be the switch on the monitor thats failed in the off position, assuming that you can switch the speakers on and off on the monitor itself.

Have you got another pc that you can try the monitor on ?

Offline soulboy

xp sound drivers
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 11:53 »
Please don't hit me, but ... my wife had knocked the monitor cable slightly whilst dusting, so after re-inserting I'm please to report that all is well again re. hearing sound thru the speakers built into my monitor.

Apologies for wasting anyone's time - clearly I should've have made this one of my very first checkpoints.  Still, thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Cheers ... soulboy

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Not your fault.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 12:16 »
No problem. I have lent my baseball bat to someone else.

This is just bad design on the part of the manufacturers. Plugs should be held in by retaining clips or screws so that this can't happen.

So ... not your fault.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
xp sound drivers
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 20:43 »
Yes, blame the wife, Soulboy!  :devil:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum