Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Brave Century  (Read 9127 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Brave Century
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 20:44 »
I agree Sandra, but have you tried the 2006 version yet?  Practically every review I have read has mentioned a significant system slowdown, even more so than with older versions.  I am not against Norton, and yes, it probably is still one of the best systems around, but there's no harm in trying alternatives, and recommending them if found to be satisfactory.  One BIG difference I have noticed is the amount of time Norton Firewall takes to flash up the permission box, if a new application tries to access the network.  When I was using Norton Internet Security 2005, it could take up to 30 seconds to ask a permission, but with F-Secure, it's instantaneous.  Also, doing a full system scan with Norton took around 3½ hours on my machine, but a full system scan with F-Secure, bearing in mind it's the same full system, takes around half the time Norton did, and on the first scan, found things Norton had missed, which had been in files on my system for years.  Norton is also hell to install, particularly the Security Suite, and takes a good hour, with all the reboots between the numerous Live Updates initially required.  It's also a bugger to uninstall.  I switched from Bit Defender to F-Secure, and had everything updated and running in 30 minutes, and it didn't require more than one reboot during the process.  As I said, I'm not against Norton, per se, but there are alternatives worth checking out.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Brave Century
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 21:19 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Better still reinstall Norton as it will still work for the next 6 months.

An existing installation of 2002 will continue to update until the 12 month subscription period is complete but a new installation will not update at all because they insist on you buying a later version.  Brave Sentry has effectively stolen his remaining 6 months subscription.  He's just been on the phone again to say that Winfixer 2006 has taken control of his computer!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 21:40 »
He seems very unlucky, if he's getting all this stuff, Clive.  Has he got no spyware protection?  I must admit, Winfixer is a bugger to get rid of the pop ups without falling into it's trap, but if he had some protection, his machine shouldn't have been infected.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 21:48 »
He has AdAware SE and I updated it only today for him Simon.  I have a removal tool for WinFixer so hopefully that will work when I see him on Friday.  He really hasn't had any luck with his computer these past few days!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 21:50 »
I'm starting to get the same feeling.  :|

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Brave Century
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 05:24 »
Has he tried any on-line scanners such as Trend Micro?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 08:32 »
Not yet Mac.  But hopefully I will be able to spend a bit of time on his machine tomorrow.  He didn't even have SP2 installed but I downloaded that for him yesterday.  Only about 200 more patches to go to bring him up to date.   :laugh:   One of the December security patches prevented Brave Sentry from installing so none of this would have happened if he had automatic updates.  He soon will have!

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Slipstreaming and Drive Imaging
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 09:32 »
If he has an XP CD I suggest that you seriously think about a plan involving slipstreaming using nLite and Ryan Vm's updates, as long as it is an English language system.

That way he'll have an up-to-date CD to do future installations with. If you choose to incorporate the unattended installation method then he won't have to register with MS everytime he does a re-install and you won't exceed the number of permittted registrations.

Alternatively if he hasn't got an XP CD try using AutoPatcher to provide the updates.

In either case making a drive image to safeguard your work, and his system, is a good idea, as you won't ever need to do all that laborious work again.

Making the slipstreamed and up-to-date XPSP2 CD is something you can do separately so he'll have a CD which he can use with sfc /scannow or sfc /scanboot

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Brave Century
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 09:35 »
Just realised what the problem is with the preview. The preview page is not the same width.

Is it possible to make the compose window any wider?

It would be very handy if all three were the same width.

:thanks:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 10:13 »
Quote from: "Mac"
Just realised what the problem is with the preview. The preview page is not the same width.

Is it possible to make the compose window any wider?

It would be very handy if all three were the same width.

:thanks:

The forum template is optimised for 800 x 600 screen resolutions.  We used a modification to make it fill the screen for any resolution, but some elements of the template don't quite fit perfectly.  It's not usually a problem, and posts can be edited immediately after posting.

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Brave Century
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 11:33 »
Quote from: "Simon"
The forum template is optimised for 800 x 600 screen resolutions.  We used a modification to make it fill the screen for any resolution, but some elements of the template don't quite fit perfectly.  It's not usually a problem, and posts can be edited immediately after posting.

I should have posted this in Forum Suggestions really. Mea Culpa.
How does it look if optimised for 1024 x 768 resolution which more and more people seem to be using?

To get back on topic (?) this is a shot of Autopatcher adding 123 updates and other changes in just under one hour with just a single re-boot when it is finished updating, which means you can let it update whilst you have lunch or do something more productive.

Very handy bit of software for those doing a fresh install if they don't have an XP CD which they can slipstream.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 11:58 »
That seems a brilliant piece of software and is just what I need to take the hassle out of dozens of re-boots between patches.  Thanks very much for letting me know about it Mac.   :D

Offline Mac

• Established Member
A pleasure.
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 08:17 »
It is a pleasure Clive.

(21/04/06) Have you had the chance to use it yet? If so, what do you think?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Brave Century
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 09:00 »
I'm visiting him this morning Mac.  The plan is to remove WinFixer, install autopatcher and sort out some virus protection.  I'll report back later today.

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Brave Century
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 09:19 »
I'll look forward to hearing from you Clive.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum