Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Silent computer cooling fan?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline thegallery

Silent computer cooling fan?
« on: April 21, 2006, 21:53 »
Hi Pals,

I have a generic Dell desktop in the living room that we use as to surf the internet while watching TV, etc... Even though it is no louder than a normal computer, I find the sound of the fan bothersome, especially we we are just reading quietly.

Is there a way to replace the fan with something that is silent? I know a fan has to spin to cool, so physically it may not be possible to silence it, but perhaps there is some other cooling system we could use instead?

Often we hibernate the system as not even standby seem to silence the fan. But we're actually just about to get rid of our land-line telephone, and I would like to permanently keep the computer powered for Skype.

Offline thegallery

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 22:34 »
just realized it might not be the fan, Could it be the HD or power supply?

I don't mind it making sounds when it's doing something, but even on Standby it seems to be gently humming away. Sounds like the fan but I'm not dead sure...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 23:00 »
Might be worth a look at this, TG:-

If your system is making a noise more like Heathrow airport than a PC, we have a complete range of products designed just to solve that problem

http://www.chillblast.com/home.php?cat=75
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 00:19 »
I fitted a Freezer 7 Pro to my new pc as I thought that the standard Intel fan was noisy.
Turned out it was the fan on the graphics card that was noisy so it didnt make much difference.

It may just be the fan thats getting noisy if its quite old so changing to a new cooler and fan may help.
Try and identify where the noise is coming from for certain first though.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum