Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB 2.0 Host Controller  (Read 1279 times)

Offline JK

USB 2.0 Host Controller
« on: May 20, 2006, 14:18 »
Hi
I have an old computer that did not support USB2.0 so I fitted a VIA VT6202 USB2.0 PCI card. Now I am trying to upgrade my pc from ME to XP. The windows update advisor says there is a hardware compatibility issue with the USB 2.0 Root hub device.
Does this mean that the card will not work under XP? or just a driver update needed?
I did look into the driver side of things and found one that was VIA and XP compatible. I could not install the new driver as windows ME insisted on reinstalling the original one. The VIA site said something about not being allowed to put the xp driver on the site.
Will windows XP support this device, see it and install drivers?
Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
USB 2.0 Host Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 14:39 »
I think it might have been better if you had updated to XP before you started trying to install new hardware.  Personally, I would remove the new USB card, then install the XP upgrade, and re-install the new hardware, once you have got XP up and running, and have all the Windows Updates, including SP2.  Does the version of XP you are installing include SP2?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

USB 2.0 Host Controller
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 14:59 »
Hi Simon.
I have been using the card for a couple of years now. I hope to get the latest upgrade with service pack 2. At the moment I am trying to sort out all the issues first using the windows update advisor. Should I remove the hardware before the upgrade and let XP detect the card when reinstalled.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
USB 2.0 Host Controller
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 15:06 »
Is this the same pc that you are having problems with the pci adsl modem too ?

I wonder if its some pci bus problem, (driver),  or maybe a PSU problem, ie not supplying sufficient power.

Can you give us the specs of your pc and the wattage of your PSU, if you can see the label easily enough.

Do you have a via chipset based motherboard ?
If so try updating the drivers for it.

I had a usb adsl modem that wouldnt work on an older pc with a via chipset, there was a conflict which I resolved by using a non via chipped pci usb card.
Some time later after, I did a bios upgrade I found that the modem would work with the onboard usb ports.

Offline JK

Sandra
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 15:11 »
Hi Sandra
I am not having trouble with my pc its working perfectly fine.
I am just trying to sort out all the upgrate issues for windows XP.
Not pc problems just driver update problems.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
USB 2.0 Host Controller
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 15:22 »
Quote from: "JK"
Should I remove the hardware before the upgrade and let XP detect the card when reinstalled.

That's the way I would do it.  If the USB card is only a couple of years old, there's no way it wouldn't be compatible with XP, so you would probably just need the right drivers, which XP may well have built in anyway, or they would be on the CD which came with the hardware.

As Sandra said, give us the specs of the PC, as this issue may be connected with your modem upgrade problem.  I think there may have been some initial confusion over whether you have actually installed XP yet or not.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum