Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Graphics Card Problems  (Read 2988 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Graphics Card Problems
« on: May 28, 2006, 14:38 »
I removed my graphics card to make way for a new network card in the PCI slot alongside the AGP slot.  When I replaced the graphics card, I found there was no picture to the monitor, so I presumed I'd broken the graphics card :( .

I've just tried a new graphics card but there's still no picture.  However, I've noticed that when I disconnect the monitor from either graphics card, it flashes a message to say that a cable is disconnected.  I don't get this message when the monitor cable is connected to one of the cards.

The motherboard is a MSI 875P MS-6758 (v2.X) ATX.

Clearly, I'm writing this on my backup computer!

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 17:43 »
Its probably a driver issue Gill.
Unfortunately you wont be able to get the screen to be visible to reinstall it  :(

Do you get any beeps at all ?
Did you perhaps disturb the RAM when removing/installing the GFX card ?

If everything seems to be in place then try using the clear CMOS jumper and see if that bring the screen back to life.

If that doesnt work then remove the gfx card start the pc and leave it for a few minutes so that it will have loaded what it can of windows then switch off.
Replace the GFX card and see if it detects it and installs it and brings the monitor up.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 19:00 »
Hi Sandra

there were no beeps and the RAM was nowhere near the graphics card so I couldn't have touched it.

If everything seems to be in place then try using the clear CMOS jumper and see if that bring the screen back to life.

What's a clear CMOS jumper?  Unfortunately, it's probably a mistake to assume I have even a basic knowledge of computer internals ("So why were you swapping cards around  :roll: ?" I hear you sigh).

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 19:10 »
A jumper is a small, usually black, piece of plastic that has a piece of copper or brass in it that will connect or short out 2 pins on the motherboard, hard drive or cd/dvd drive etc.
Its usually but not always, near to the CMOS battery, the round flat shiny battery on the motherboard.
Hopefully it will be printed near the jumper saying CMOS.

It connects 2 of 3 pins together, it will be in the normal run position where it is now, connecting the central and one end pin.
It needs to be taken off and placed so that it connects the central and the opposite end pin. This shorts out the memory in the CMOS chip and resets the bios to its default value.
It only needs to be placed in that position for a second or so then put back to its original position.

If you cant identify the clear CMOS jumper then the same effect can be done by removing the battery for a few minutes, thats a bit hit amd miss though as it may take 10 mins or 30 or even longer, using teh jumper is instant.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 21:08 »
Thanks Sandra - the bear of little brain is with you now :) .

I take it that you should only use the clear CMOS jumper when the computer is switched off, not when it's powered up?  That's the impression I get from the motherboard manual.

Gill

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 22:59 »
I've used the clear CMOS jumper and rebooted without the graphics card installed.  Still no joy :( .

I'm open to further suggestions...

Gill

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 23:45 »
Does your motherboard have onboard graphics, separate to the graphics card, Gill?  If so, there should be another port to which you can plug in your monitor.  Try that, as your BIOS may have reverted to onboard graphics.  If you see a picture, you should then be able go into BIOS (press Del as soon as the boot process starts), and reset the graphics to boot from the AGP card.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 00:02 »
Nice idea, Simon, but unfortunately the motherboard doesn't support onboard graphics.

Gill

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 00:02 »
I'll get me coat...
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 00:42 »
Does the CPU fan and possibly case fan/s carry on running when you switch teh pc on or do they just run for a few seconds and then stop ?

The same with the power and hard drive lights and do the floppy and CD/DVD lights come on as normal, then go out ?

Did you try removing the new network PCI card, just in case that was conflicting somehow ?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 01:18 »
Yes, everything's continuing as per normal (all the fans/lights/drives etc keep working) and I've removed the network card.  There's just no picture...

Gill

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 02:51 »
Presumably the monitor itself is ok as you said that you get a no signal message when the cable is unplugged  :?
have you tried another monitor on that pc, if you have one available ?

Cant think of anything else at the moment Gill, sorry  :(

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 14:43 »
I thought I'd let you know that I've had a computer engineer look at the machine and he's confirmed that the motherboard is shot  :( .  No wonder we couldn't get the graphics card working.  Thanks for all your help, though.

Gill

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 14:47 »
That's bad news, Gill, but thanks for letting us know.  Perhaps the replacement will support onboard graphics.  ;)

Offline gmax

• Established Member
Graphics Card Problems
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 15:41 »
you can still use the m/b with a  pci graphics card  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum