Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows XP SP1 and SP1a Support Ends on October 10, 2006  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Final customer notifications about the end of Windows XP SP1 and SP1a support.

Support for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Service Pack 1a (SP1a) ends on October 10, 2006. Microsoft will end support on this date. This also includes security updates for these service packs. Microsoft is providing final notifications to customers regarding the end of support for these products.

Microsoft is ending support for these products as part of the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Service Pack support policy. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows XP SP1 or SP1a upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 as soon as possible.

To determine whether you are running Windows XP SP1, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. If "Service Pack 1" appears under System, you are running Windows XP SP1. We do not recommend that you install SP1a if you are already running SP1. We recommend that you install Windows XP SP2 if you are running Windows XP SP1 or SP1a.

Key dates:
Windows XP SP2 was released on September 17, 2004. According to the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Service Pack policy, Microsoft provided 24 months of support for Windows XP SP1 following the Windows XP SP2 release.
The original support end date for Windows XP SP1 was September 17, 2006.
In January 2006, Microsoft announced an adjustment to the Microsoft Support Lifecycle expiration dates, moving the end of support date for Windows XP SP1 to October 10, 2006.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Windows XP SP1 and SP1a Support Ends on October 10, 2006
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 04:52 »
I know alot of people that are going to be peeved off. This isn't a good thing. I think they should countinuously maintain all their operating systems because it was their fault they built them with flaws. Thats similar to going to a used car lot and getting sold a lemon.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 14:31 »
well i guess there answer will be update to SP2
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 15:31 »
I thought M$ had now forced everyone to upgrade to SP2, via automatic updates?  :|
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 15:32 »
quite possibly... but not all of us can use automatic updates so arent forced ;-)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 15:56 »
But there's no real reason not to upgrade to SP2 (it's no worse then SP1!), so people can't really complain if they are out of date by choice.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 19:02 »
You guys have a point. I think of sp2 as a completely different operating system. When i think of installing it on top of sp1 i think of it just being an upgrade and not a update.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 20:17 »
Well, I know we all (and I mean 'us' as in 'computer people') slag Micro$oft off, but in reality, there are millions upon millions of users who have no trouble with their PCs, and I don't think M$ are really the demons we sometimes see them as.  Sure, they get things wrong, but XP is a huge operating system, so it's bound to have some faults, and at least these are gradually getting fixed with the updates.  Personally, I would rather have the updates, than allow some scumbag to take advantage of a security hole, and really screw up my PC.

That said, Internet Explorer is still s**te!   :twisted:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 20:42 »
i guess it sort of is a different os.. but still I can see how microsoft think of it.. and that is more hassle! :-)
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum