Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Language/Settings problem, help!  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Cartoon_Comic

• New Registration
Language/Settings problem, help!
« on: July 18, 2006, 22:46 »
I really hope someone can help me before i have to take my computer into a shop and get it wiped :cry: . My problem: Pretty much everything that is suppose to be letters or numbers are dashes, boxes, squares, and lines. I can't read anything. If i go to word documents and open an old file it will just come up in all these symbols, not letters like they where. And when im on the internet, everything in the tool bar is like that too. My Start menu, and my icons on my desktop. I mean the pictures are still there and they all work still, its just the launguage. And i have tried(after being on the internet) clicking on tools, then internet options, then font, but when I choose Lastin Based(which is what im suppose to have i guess) i don't get any other options, like Times or Couier.....idk what to do. I hope im in the right place. Any help would be great. Thanx :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 23:02 »
Hi CC, and  :welcome:

First, have you tried a System Restore to before this happened?  Did this happen after installing or uninstalling something, or after any other particular event?

Two other things I can think of for the moment, assuming you have XP:-

1. Start > Control Panel > Date, Time, Language and Regional Options.  Check the settings in there, and make sure they are set to English (assuming that is your required language).

2. Right click your Desktop, then > Properties > Appearance and check the fonts in the Advanced settings.  Something in there may have been changed, which affects the whole of Windows.  Make sure all the settings with changeable fonts are set to something standard, like Verdana, Tahoma, Ariel, etc.

Come back to us when you've done that, and we'll go forward from there.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Cartoon_Comic

• New Registration
Thanx
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 23:56 »
Thank u for what u told me to do, it took some time but did help. Only problem is that its not all the way fixed. My start menu is still in "? triangles, checkmarks, and Xs" and i can't read everything. I don't kno what i did. I had one of my friends clean up my computer once, and he was at his computer doing it over the internet, idk i have never done that before so that might have messed some things up. idk tho. Where do i go from here?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 00:17 »
Go to the regional and language options as Simon explained earlier then click on the Advanced tab.

Select English in the non unicode part and tick 1000 (MAC- Roman).

I think that should sort the start menu out  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum