Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Port forwarding.  (Read 10165 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:56 »
I'm trying to set up a static I.P Address for port forwarding for BitTornado using the link Lona supplied in another thread. (thankyou Lona)

I have gotten as far as taking down my I.P address and so one, when I came to the DNS server I noticed there are two. Ending in 35, and 36.
Is this Michaels as well? If not which one do I use? :?
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 13:32 »
The IP address that you need to put in the router is the one relevant to the pc that you are wanting the ports opening on.

So you need to look in your Network Connections folder and highlight your LAN connection icon by single left clicking on it.
Then look at the bottom left of the folder under the Details part and it will show you the LAN IP address for that pc.
Those four groups of numbers are the ones that you need to enter.

The first 3 groups of numbers will be identical for your router, your pc and Michaels pc.
Only the last group of numbers will vary, that number is what identifies each connection.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:36 »
Thanks Sandra,
                       When I got to entering the information, I noticed that when it says "Use the following DNS server addresses", it has preferred and alternate.
I assumed the two numbers that I wasn't sure about, that ended with 35, & 36
were preferred and alternate.
Well thats what I used anyway.

Next problem,
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-302G/BitTornado.htm

When I get to "Don't skip this step", entering your static I.P address.

When I type it into a browser page, it comes back can't find server or busy, I'm not getting to the box asking for user name and so on. :blush:

The I.P address that they use as an example 192.168.62.1, is that what they are suppose to look like as mine is more like 10.*.*.*
 :?

Offline sam

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:46 »
192.168... is a pretty default one, it doesnt matter really.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 10:50 »
I cant see the bit about the DNS server where is that part ?
I wouldnt have thought that you needed it.

Re the Dont Skip this step part.

The enter Static IP should really say the IP address of your router.

They are usually in the 192.xxx.xxx.xx or 10.xxx.xxx.xx range so yours is one of the 10.xxx.xxx.xx ones.

To find your routers IP address you need to go to your Network Connections folder and double click on your LAN icon then click on the Support tab.

The IP address for the router is shown as the Default Gateway one.

The rest of it should work ok after that as long as you know the Admin username and password which should have come with the routers information or appears to be admin for both for your Dlink.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 11:31 »
OK thanks, I got into the DLink system page, doesn't help that the one they show is of a 504G, ours is a 302G and doesn't have all that information.

I'm at the last one NAT Rule Add, I entered all the information and when I clicked submit it came up "501 Method Not Implemented"  tried it a couple of times same thing.  :?  :?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:55 »
It says its for the 302 G  :?

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 12:24 »
I know :? , Where it says click on "Services", ours doesn't have that. So I just clicked on NAT, came up 501 Method Not Implemented, but after a couple of tries it worked.
But I'm still stuck at the end, it keeps coming up with the 501 message?

Any ideas :?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 12:40 »
Not really MB, without seeing what the options are  :(

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54 »
I googled it, and apparently I should have been doing this using IE.
Bugger!

I guess I'll be doing this again using IE.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 14:27 »
Seeming I would have to do it all again anyway, I decided to uninstall BitTornado and install UTorrent, as Michael has it and believes it's the easiest to use.

But I have a problem (how unusual), UTorrent assigns a port and I entered it, at the end on NAT Rule Configurations.
 http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-302G/Utorrent.htm

And an Error page came up stating Error: Entry Already Exists.

Does this mean that, that port is already in use? If so should I change the port, if so how do I choose a port. :?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 00:52 »
I think it means that its already open so it should be working ok, hopefully.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Port forwarding.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 08:11 »
You can change the listening (incoming) port in µTorrent in Options > Connections, and it's best to untick the Randomise Port box, so it uses the same one each time, otherwise you will keep having to open different ports on the router.  Try changing the port, if you keep getting the error message.  If the port is being forwarded correctly, you should have a green tick in the bar at the bottom of the µTorrent interface.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 11:23 »
I figured out what the problem was, when the message says that it already exists, I figured it meant that NAT Rule 1 already exists, so I simply made it NAT Rule 2. Common sense really these silly computers. :laugh:

Anyway worked well at first, speeds up to 43kb, then down to nothing with a red warning sign. Didn't get a green tick, but a yellow warning sing at first.
Seeming that I only have one port open for it and it only seems to allow one, should I change the NAT Rule to a range of ports.
Say if I have 40000, make it 40000 to 40010. :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Port forwarding.
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 11:55 »
You can, as long as you open one of the ports in the range you have set in the Router, in µTorrent, and set the Router to allow TCP / UDP traffic for µTorrent through your LAN server IP address.  Bear in mind, though, the more ports you open, the more this may comprimise security, so really, if you are only using the one incoming port in µTorrent, there's only the need to open that one port in the Router.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum