Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: sudden internet fail  (Read 1218 times)

Offline spooner

sudden internet fail
« on: October 03, 2006, 16:22 »
hi,
i have 1 internet connection split to my 2 pc`s, through a router, everything was workin fine until my connection has failed on my secondary pc, the lights are still as if there should be access, the cable is fine, does anybody know if there are any settings i can check, to try and get things back up and running again,
thanks in advance
sed all my sick, t`morra i`m ringing in dead !

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
sudden internet fail
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 18:00 »
Go into "start" and "connect to".  Click on "show all connections"  Is the Local Area Network connected?  If not, then right click and reconnect it.  Another thing you can try is to reboot your router by turning it off at the mains.  If neither of those work you will have to wait for Sandra to come along.   :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
sudden internet fail
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 18:38 »
Have you checked the firewall on the second PC?  Sometimes, some of them can suddenly decide to block all internet access, for reasons unbenown to anyone but the firewall itself.  Of course, it may be blocking for a legitimate reason, if the machine has become infected with a virus, trojan or spyware.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline spooner

sudden internet fail
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 19:34 »
it was something to do with the parental controls, i`ve got certain pages up now, but need my password (which i`ve forgot ) :cry: , i would format the c drive to start again, but when you buy 1 of these dell pc`s, xp is pre installed, how can i format ??   sorry if this has gone into a different subject.
sed all my sick, t`morra i`m ringing in dead !

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
sudden internet fail
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 20:01 »
I wouldn't think about anything as drastic as formatting just yet.  I'm sure there's a way round the password issue, but in the meantime, assuming you are currently using Internet Explorer, why not try Firefox instead?  You can set it up 'as new', with no parental controls or passwords.  Click the link in my sig for the latest version.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
sudden internet fail
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:16 »
oh and if it is a dell it will come with recovery cds.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum