Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC randomly returns to desktop  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
PC randomly returns to desktop
« on: October 24, 2006, 20:32 »
Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, so I'll start here.  I have a cousin who's PC is playing up, and she has asked me to have a look at it.  What happens is, when playing games, or doing any sorts of tasks, i.e writing emails, the computer will either suddenly return to the desktop, or the screen will go completely blank and the only way out of this is a hard reboot.  It also sometimes takes a couple of reboots for the monitor to fire up, from a cold start, but I'm not sure if this is connected, as apparently, it's been doing that for some time.  She has done spyware / virus scans, which found nothing.  I don't really have any more information, other than it's running WinXP Home SP2, it's mid spec and about 3 years old.  I am going up to London to visit on Sunday, so any ideas as to what this could be, would be appreciated.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 20:52 »
A quick google search suggests that it could be the games joystick causing the problem.  Try removing it or the drivers and see if there are updated drivers available.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 21:16 »
Thanks Clive, but it seems to be more random than just when starting games, and they don't have a joystick!   :)   I also thought it might be something to do with screen resolution changes, but that shouldn't happen while playing a game, and it doesn't really answer the 'returning to desktop' issue either.  :?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 23:58 »
Its probably a memory problem Simon.

Run memtest on it or a similar program.

Have a look in the event viewer and see if you can identify a repetative error code that corresponds with the timing of the problem and see if you can google the code to find a fix.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 00:52 »
Thanks Sandra.  It's possible that a memory stick may have become insecure, as I have found out tonight that they have recently moved the computer.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 00:32 »
I had the exact same problem Simon with my old HP pc and it was memory problem as Sandra said.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:05 »
Well, this has now developed further, and the PC refuses to start, with an error message saying they need to reinstall windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.  By Googling, I have gathered that this can be reinstalled via the Recovery Console.  I'm not convinced, however, this this is directly connected to the original problem.  :?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 12:41 »
If it is faulty ram then it can cause different faults at different times.

I would also suggest that you try using the clear CMOS jumper to reset the bios.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 12:56 »
OK, thanks San.  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 23:47 »
Just to let you know, San, it was the memory, which I replaced, and now the PC is running like the wind!  :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 00:15 »
Thanks for letting us know Simon  :)

Did Memtest verify it or did you just substitute some that you had  ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 08:07 »
No, it wouldn't boot past the memory check, so I couldn't use memtest.  It was part intuition, part common sense, and part lucky guess!  I didn't have anything with me, so we bought a new stick from PC World.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 18:23 »
Well, just as I thought everything was OK, it seems that the problem has started up again.  The PC won't boot past the memory check, with all sorts of error messages.  It worked perfectly after putting in the new memory module on Sunday, but apparently, this utopia only lasted a day.  Any suggestions?  Could we have been unlucky enough to have bought a duff memory stick, or is there something which could be causing them to break down?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 18:58 »
I have now found out some more information.  The computer does boot up, but only after pressing the reset button, when the initial 'beep' doesn't occur.  It them boots into Windows, which it didn't do before Sunday, but will randomly reboot on it's own during operation.  I have now suggested they turn off auto reboot, and we will see how things go.  The lack of an initial 'beep' is worrying, as this, I believe, is the memory test, isn't it?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 19:29 »
Quote from: "Simon"
 The lack of an initial 'beep' is worrying, as this, I believe, is the memory test, isn't it?

No its the POST beep and the sounds it makes can identify problems with memory, gfx or other hardware, not just memory.

It could be a bios problem if its not getting the beep, have you tried using the clear cmos jumper to reset it ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum