Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Memtest shock!  (Read 996 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Memtest shock!
« on: February 11, 2007, 23:07 »
I have been trying to establish why my F-Secure Suite keeps stalling on Full System Scan, and it was suggested that I run a Memory Test, to eliminate that as a possible cause.  However, I ran the test, and after 3 passes, in about 90 minutes, I was shocked to see 1532 errors!  My computer runs well in all other aspects.  I don't generally get lock ups, blue screens, phantom reboots, or anything else associated with bad or failing memory, and if I hadn't done this test, I would never have known about these errors.  Is this something to worry about, or is it normal for Memtest to produce a certain amount of errors?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Memtest shock!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 00:28 »
I havent known it to give false positives Simon.

It may be that its got faults but that in the processes that you use it doesnt use that part of the ram that has the fault.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:33 »
So, is it worth forking our for new memory on that basis?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 12:19 »
I wouldnt bother until it starts acting up Simon.

Have you got multiple ram or a single stick ?

Memtest is supposed to work better using one stick at a time.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 14:36 »
Well, thinking about it, my desktop has been randomly freezing for a few seconds, after exiting some applications, for some time now, but I guess I had got used to it, so didn't initially connect it to this issue.  I might buy one new memory stick for testing, then at least, in any case, I can use it as an upgrade to what I already have.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum