Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Wife is being a pain, she wants internet access when I want it.  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Right Playmates,

not into this networking thing, but I think I'm right in thinking a wired set up is the cheapest way to go.

My latest build PC has an Ethernet connection on the MOB, my old PC like Simon's has not, so a Ethernet PCI card and 5 meters [the further way she is the better  ;) ] of Ethernet J45 crossover cable will cost £10.88 in total.

Other option I take it is going the wireless route with a ADSL/ Router, I'm tempted.

I take it, you hard wire PC with the Ethernet connector into the ADSL Router and use a USB, or wireless PCI card in the other PC.  £42.20 in total

Please put me right if I have got any of the above wrong.

How about security, I'm I right in thinking the Ethernet crossover cable set up will be more secure?

Thanks

What's with all this blacklisted urls  rubbish, does that mean you cannot use the Tiny Url thingimebob.

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
What's with all this blacklisted urls  rubbish, does that mean you cannot use the Tiny Url thingimebob.

Who, what, where?  On here, do you mean?  :dunno:  We do have an anti-spam thingy installed, which works off a blacklist, so I guess TinyUrl may have been added to it, so as to prevent spam being disguised.  Not sure if we can do anything about it, but I'll have a poke about when I get a minute.  I dunno, some people don't show their face for months on end, then when they do appear, all they do is complain!   ;) :o:

I think what you have said is right, and the other advantage of a router is that Mrs T could be further away!  :devil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Get an ADSL modem router Tony, either wi fi enabled or just wires.

That way you can be online from either pc independantly of the other pc.
If you use a crossed wire then the main pc has to be all the time the second pc is online.
No real difference in security, if anything the router will add an extra bit as most have a NAT firewall inbuilt these days and you can block or allow which ports are available for each individual pc connected to it.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Cheers Simon,

loved your ADSL USB modem v Router thread, only you could buy a new one to speed up your connection, and it be actually slower than the one you had   ;) The Tiny Url thingy, I can use ordinary links, just I had do four links using the tiny option, and thought boulders...when they did not work. 

Sandra,

I know your right, I was just trying to out do Simon for tightness  ;) I know the wireless router is the way to go really. Just I hear of stories of them dropping the signal, I guess that is on the wireless side. That would be an issue for me when I'm trading. But as I will have my PC hard wired via the ethernet cable I guess that line will not be dropped like the wireless connection could be .

So I have decided to go the wireless route with the ADSL router Cammy linked to, that was £100 in 2004. And if it goes tits up, I have my trust ADSL USB modem as a back up.

Cheers, gang.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Ordered it, along with a USB wireless adapter from the same manufacture £39.63 delivered. So A guess I can now transfer data from one PC to the other using the wireless network, like back up files.

It pays to shop around, the same USB wireless adapter on Ebuyer costs £26.51.

The one I Ordered was a snip at £9.99, mind you I have just noticed it is "used"

All told  the wireless set up looks a bargain for just under £40,  we shall see.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:34 by Tony »

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
a handy "How To" guide on setting up a home network

Home networking options and configuring instructions.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
I think I'm still on top on the 'economy' front, Tony.  My 'old' build is still going strong, and with just a couple of small upgrades, will be V**ta ready!  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Yes you are Simon, I'm having intermittent problems with my newest build AMD3700+, I get the occasional blue  dumping memory screen, followed by a system crash, and loss of hard drive recognition. Take this morning, fails to boot, no boot record "insert system disk".  Where as my first build AMD2000+ is as steady as a rock. In fact I just attempted a reboot, and as I have my OS for the AMD2000+ configured for that PC's MOB, on my second hard drive  in the AMD3700+[both drives jumpers set to "Cable Select"] It boot up to that set up, anyway I'll put that teaser up on a new thread for Sandra to get her teeth into  :o:

So back to the thread header title, ordered router and USB adapter from Broadbandbuyer. And some other bits for the AMD2000+ rig, a multi plug surge protector, and some speakers as I had nicked them for the new build. And treated my self to a 2G USB memory stick, and couple of  CD-RW's, DVD+ RW's cakes, from CCL. Both ordered 11.00am ish yesterday. Both came on the same City Link Van at 8.44am this morning.

As luck would have it they caught me in, as I was just setting off on the school run. Pregnant Daughter six weeks to go fell and broke a bone in her ankle in Skipton yesterday, so he stayed  the night with us. Just heard from Linda, that his mum is back in hospital in labour. But they are trying to keep the baby from coming, via drugs, as babies lungs are not formed properly if born six weeks premature. I reckon the fall has brought it on, so I looks like the PC job will be on the back burner some what, back and forth to hospital.  Mind you maybe it will keep my mind occupied, as other wise I will just dwell on the what iff's. I certainly cannot concentrate on trading  the market, I managed a quick 20 minute trade this morning before I took Charles to school, but to much going on right now to concentrate on the markets, it will take your bloody hand off if your not focused 100%.

On a more positive note, I can say Charles, the seven year old Grandson came six weeks early, went in an incubater but he is fine, knows it bloody all he does, apart from sewing that is  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:04 by Tony »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Did you check that someone else was at Charles's school before you left him?  I thought they'd all broken up for Easter!  :laugh:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Did you check that someone else was at Charles's school before you left him?  I thought they'd all broken up for Easter!  :laugh:

I thought it was quite  :blush:

Nar there were loads of em. As I was jumping up and down waving my arms above my head as I caught the last glimpse of him disappearing into school, I turned to a group of young mothers and said.......can you tell I'm new to this job ?   ;D

Right, I'm waiting for Linda to come home, then we are off to the hospital. So I thought, I'll open up my goodies, well all present and correct. Jeez I love the 2G Dane-Elec USB memory stick it's ever so tiny but it looks very robust with it's rubberised design.

Now regards the USB Wireless Adapter, I said it was used in a recent post, only because after I hit the "buy button" a little box come up saying "used" I'm new to that site, maybe it was just me, or maybe it was just a page error? But whatever, the wireless adapter is brand spanking new, box cellophane sealed, dongle and shielded USB lead, both sealed independently with their quality seal intact. So they look good value at that price.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 13:12 by Tony »

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Right I'm off to feck up my internet connection......................I may be gone some time  ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Well that was quite painless, just need to read up about making the wireless network bit secure............like how do you do that ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Access the router through its IP address and log on with the correct username and password.
Enable the WEP or WPA and select the strength you want, lower bits less numbers to type in, I dont think you need to go overboard unless you are a bank or something similar  :)

It will generate the code for you then use that code in the wi fi connected pc and that should be it  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
Access the router through its IP address and log on with the correct username and password.
Enable the WEP or WPA and select the strength you want, lower bits less numbers to type in, I dont think you need to go overboard unless you are a bank or something similar  :)

It will generate the code for you then use that code in the wi fi connected pc and that should be it  :)

Cheers, Sandra, I managed to get it sorted, but I could not get back onto PC Pals at all last night for some reason? So I did not see your last post until now, so don't think I'm ignoring you....as if I would.  o:)

I disabled SSID Broadcasting, and assigned the wireless network another SSID instead of the default one. And only allowed 11g connection as that is what my USB adapter is. Yes I've enabled WAP-PSK[no server] with TKIP Encryption, so without the key, and the assigned SSID , on the correct channel no buggers getting a look in on my network.

So we are all sorted now, I've even disabled my software firewall Simon, I'm so confident in the router firewall, well I did test it on SheildsUp  :o:

Now I must recommend the service I received from BroadbandBuyer

Like I said earlier, ADSL Wireless router arrived first thing next day, now on reading the blurb I noticed four rubber feet that had to be attached to the base of the router were not in the box. I emailed Wendy at Customer Support, she informed me that 3com are a bit sloppy regards to always including them in the box. But she had  spoke to Broadband Buyer tech support, who had a spare set. And she had them dispatched first class recorded delivery, and arrive as I was posting this post. Now that's what I call SERVICE, well done BroadbandBuyer, and well done Wendy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:29 by Tony »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
I don't think it hurts to have the extra level of security of a software firewall as well, Tony.  I still use one, and find I feel more secure with it.  Obviously each to his own.  :)

By the way, we did have an outage last night, which was due to the Pipex server going down, not anything within our control.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum