Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Overkill in Security  (Read 953 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Overkill in Security
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:03 »
On checking out numerous forums one cant help feeling that a lot of folks spend more time worrying about security than actually enjoying their PCs.

What do you guys think about products like Prevx1 or BoClean? Are they really necessary?
Im running behind a router, and at the moment useing AOL Active Virus Shield (Kaspersky Engine). I installed the free BoClean out of curiosity, but cant really feel its doing much. Im also behind Windows fire wall.

Im amazed at the amount of security products some people are running!

::)
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Overkill in Security
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:49 »
Yes, when you read other forums, it can make your own PC security seem inadequate, but I think, in many cases, you're right, DG, and it's just overkill.  Unless you are a very 'dangerous' surfer, and go looking for stuff you really shouldn't be looking for, I see no need for anything much other than a good firewall and anti-virus protection, many of which now also incorporate anti-spyware, or an all-in-one suite, such as F-Secure, which is what I am currently using, and have just renewed for another year.  A secondary spyware scanner can be useful, as usually, one finds different things to another, and for occasional on-demand spyware scans, I use AVG Anti-Spyware (Free Edition), and I also have Spyware Blaster installed, which just runs silently in the background.  As it takes so long, I only do a full virus scan about 2 or 3 times a year, and providing your AV software is kept up to date, I see no need to do scheduled full scans, as nothing should get through anyway, and the chances of catching a 'new' virus before the definitions are updated, are extremely slim, for any sensible user.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:30 »
The point is that people are having their computers hacked and personal details stolen.  I have quite a lot of protection but it only takes a few minutes each week to update and start a scan for each piece of antivirus or antispyware software I have installed.  I just come back to my computer a few hours later and remove anything that's been found. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:28 »
I don't believe I have ever had my computer hacked, and scans with my existing protection hardly ever find anything.  Yes, I have had my credit card security compromised, but this was down to security breaches on websites I had purchased from, which could happen to anyone.  People who get their computers hacked, are usually those uninformed enough to open unsolicited email attachments, get caught out by phishing links, or click pop ups on dubious websites.  These are the people who needs lots of protection, but, ironically, don't have the knowledge to implement many layers of defence, and whom security suites are ideal for.  While I can't claim to be the worlds safest surfer, I do use the internet with a degree of security awareness, and never open unsolicited emails.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum