Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: help with internet explorer 7.0  (Read 930 times)

Offline eric

• New Registration
help with internet explorer 7.0
« on: May 07, 2007, 21:53 »
hi, please help a novice!!
when i do a search and type in a name into my address bar i get an error message "application not found" but if i search for instance on the MSN home page it will go to my search topic?? i then get so far thru my search until i can surf no further due to clicking on the link and again receive the same error!! i have tried to download some sort of help from the net but guess what?? you guessed it i get the same message "application not found".
i have tried to access the link using a different method CTRL key and clicking the mouse but this does not help either.
i then followed the Start - Run - type regsvr32 urlmon.dll - click OK but this does not stop the above. i then continued with shdocvw.dll, Actxprxy.dll etc. etc. as directed by a help page on Microsoft but these do not give me the OK option but what i would like the program to Open with or Cancel??
i am running Windows XP, i ran Spybot, Adaware and AVG 7.0 before sending this and if you are wondering ............ i am on the laptop!!!!
please help!!!
eric

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: help with internet explorer 7.0
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 22:04 »
Hi Eric, and  :welcome:

I'm not certain that your problem is actually with Internet Explorer, but to eliminate it as the culprit, you could try re-installing it from here.  Alternatively, you could download another browser, such as Firefox, and see if you still have the same problems searching.

Come back to us and let us know how you get on.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:11 »
Are you actually putting a known site address in the address bar or trying to search in it as that wont work  :-\

Offline eric

• New Registration
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 17:53 »
thanks for the tip. i uninstalled internet explorer 7 ..................... not for the first time ................ and hey presto, internet explorer 6 takes over and away we go!! what a pain in the butt IE7 has been with my PC! whats the reason for it?
thanks for your help
eric

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 18:42 »
Unfortunately Eric, if you have Windows Auto Updates enabled, you may find that Micro$oft insist on your using IE7, by kindly installing it for you on your computer, whether you bloody well like it or not.  They are good like that.  My suggestion would be to switch to Firefox, which is an excellent browser, and then you can virtually ignore IE7 when it next appears.  You can find a link to it in my sig below.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum