Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Splitting my network  (Read 1114 times)

Offline grt

Splitting my network
« on: May 10, 2007, 06:25 »
Hi

I have three routers in serial around the house , connected to up to five computers .
I always assumed that the routers would equally distribute broadband access between those computers that needed it .

My lads are now arguing that when they both play certain games they are causing lag on the other's game . Is there anyway to split the broadband equally , so they get equal lag and I don't have to referee ?

Thank You
Giles

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Splitting my network
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:52 »
Hi Giles,

Sandra is our networking expert, and she should be along later to offer some advice.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:12 »
Thats an interesting problem but I am afraid I havent got a solution at the moment.

Does the variation in lag occurr when they are all playing the same game or are some playing one game and someone else a different game ?

If they are playing different games then it may be that ones routing over more hops than the other, if its the same game then that wont be the reason.

I am curious about your set up.
Why 3 routers and not just 2 x 4 port or a modem plus an 8 way router ?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:33 »
Like Sandra, I find the network design curious.  If you link 5 computers through routers the network would be fully stretched as packets flew around and took up bandwidth.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline grt

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 04:02 »
The modem links to my original wireless router which also has a cable to connect the laptop to .

After complaints of lag I ran a cable from this to the downstairs computer .

Further complaints of lag from upstairs and i put a router by the downstairs computer (the other end of the house from the modem and wireless router ) and this feeds downstairs computer and a cable running upstairs to another router which feeds 2-3 or more computers upstairs .

Does that help ?  ???

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52 »
Something else to consider is no two PC's seem to work exactly the same speed over a network in my experience, even if the PC's are exactly the same spec.

I'd make sure you had all the drivers updated and each PC cleaned out and tweaked up and run pcpitstop and see if it suggests and bottlenecks.

HTH

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 16:13 »
If its easy enough to run some more wires then I would suggest that you get an 8 way switch or hub.
I dont think that they cost that much these days.
Connect you modem to the switch, or connect the switch to your first router if its a wi fi one and/or because it will have a hardware firewall of some sort, then each pc directly to the switch.
That way you have a better chance of the switch allowing the same bandwith to each pc rather than one pc getting more.
Presumably the one connected to the router that then feeds another router will have a greater share of the bandwith than any pcs connected to the last router.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum