Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Connections quickie  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Connections quickie
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:59 »
My cousin has been trying to set up her new broadband package, and has installed all the equipment, but is confused about the microfilters that attach to the phone sockets.  She has also managed to confuse me over the phone, and it got to the stage last night, where neither of us understood what the other was talking about.

Basically, the confusion is all because she has to run her internet connection from an extension lead from the hall phone socket to the PC in the dining room, as there is no phone socket where the PC is.  The problem is, where to put the microfilters - at the PC end of the extension lead, at the phone socket end, or both?  She has tried various combinations, and can either get the PC to connect online, and have a really crackly, inaudible phone line (although the phone does ring), or have the phone working, but no DSL connection.  Can anyone suggest the best configuration for this sort of set up, before me or my cousin go totally bonkers?

:hammer:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Connections quickie
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:40 »
Actually if she hasnt got a phone connected where the PC is then she doesnt really need a filter on it at all.
The filter is only needed for the voice side so you need a filter on each socket where a phone is plugged in.

She will probably need the filter at the pc end though to use an as adaptor to change from the standard BT phone socket plug to the RG 45 plug which is smaller.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 13:19 »
But there is a phone connected at the other end of the extension, Sandra, so she would use one as an adapter, and one at the phone end, yes?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 13:22 »
Oh, and the phone extension has an RG45 connection on it, so could she use that, and have the microfilter at the other end of the extension, where the actual phone is?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 17:39 »
Hi, Simon.

I live in a flat on one level.  The telephone socket is in the living room and my computer is in my bedroom.  First, I have a bog standard two-way adapter in the BT socket.  Secondly, I have a filter in one of the adapter sockets with my telephone connected to the filter.  Thirdly, I have an ordinary telephone extension lead in the remaining adapter socket which runs into the bedroom.  At the bedroom end of the extension is a second filter with my USB modem plugged into it.

I don't have any problems with this set up.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 18:16 »
Thanks Dave, I think that's the way to go, and is how I was trying to explain it to her over the phone, without much success!  I'll try again tonight.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum