Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Signed Up to Tiscali  (Read 2223 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Signed Up to Tiscali
« on: July 06, 2007, 13:57 »
Well, after weeks of agonising over whether to get rid of my telephone and internet (as I only use both very lightly) I have taken the plunge and signed up to Tiscali, after talking to my barber while I was having my hair cut.

Currently, I am paying about £12.00 a month for BT Line Rental (as I won't pay that scum by DD) about £2.00 a month phone calls (I only ever use the phone at weekend and occasionally to make the odd evening call after work) and £17.99 to Orange for 1MB broadband with a 2GB/month limit, a total of £31.99 a month for something that I rarely use in comparison to most other people I know.

Today, I signed up to Tiscali Weekend talk and Surf for £14.99 a month.  For this I will get Line Rental (no more scummy BT and their hidden charges / change of prices practically every billing period) free weekend calls (I currently pay 5p for up to a hour, but am only usually on the phone for less than a minute) and 2MB broadband with unlimited downloads.  OK, there is a fair use policy which asks you not to use P2P to download during the hours of 6PM and 11PM, but on the very rare occasion that I do download anything massive I do it overnight while I am sleeping.

My barber has the same package and has never had any problems, so fingers crossed.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Signed Up to Tiscali
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 14:41 »
That actually seems a good deal Dave and I might have use for it myself.  Please let me know how you get on with it before I take the plunge.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 15:40 »
Will do, Clive.   :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 20:47 »
I'm with you on the direct debits, Dave.  I don't mind paying by DD, if I choose to, but I refuse to be told to!

I hope Tiscali works out for you, and that they have improved since being the most complained about ISP on ISPr for a couple of years.  It sounds like a good value package.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 22:00 »
Seems a good package Dave-I was thinking of either going with Tiscali on a package or Virgin, but decided to plump with Virgin.

I dont think the large number of complaints matters a jot, as Tiscali are among the largest ISPs, its the old story the more clients you have, the more complaints you are bound to get-the law of averages.

if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 22:25 »
yeah but what you need to know is the complaints per person.. thats the interesting and relevant stat.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 23:55 »
Seems a good package Dave-I was thinking of either going with Tiscali on a package or Virgin, but decided to plump with Virgin.

i did exactly the same thing........... my family are with tiscali and the only problem they have had is when one of them moved and they were of line for 4 weeks  :ack:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 23:05 »
The broadband is now set up and has (touch wood) connected without any problems at all.  The connection pack (modem, filters etc.) hasn't arrived yet, but I was able to create a manual connection using my Speedtouch (Wanadoo) modem without difficulty.

I'm just waiting for the telephone service to be transferred now and have had an email saying it should be in the next seven days.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 23:15 »
Glad to see your up and running Dave. I see your still useing a modem and not a router.

Ive also got my Virgin broadband up and running, but like you, Im still waiting for my phone package from Virgin.

Im still not convinced that a router is worth all the hassle in setting up when your on a single PC. Virgin supplied a Netgear router, but after frigging about for an hour trying to set it up to work with my static IP address, gave up, and went back to an old BT Voyager which works a treat.

With all the bother of forwarding ports, I find a router a bloody nuisance!

;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 23:45 »
Have to agree, DG.  I wouldn't bother going back to a DSL modem now, but there's no real benefit in using a router with a single PC.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 00:46 »
I cant see what you have against routers S and D  :dunno:

Even if I only had one pc and not the two that I have permanently connected plus my new satellite receiver and a spare connection for any other pc or laptop that I may have to work on, I would still go for an ADSL modem/router over a plain ADSL modem.

Once its set up, which is usually less hassle than using a USB ADSL modem as you dont have to install any drivers, you dont have to touch it again unless you want to alter some security settings.

You have the extra protection that the hardware provides over a software firewall.

Often the connection is faster and more stable via a router.

They are often cheaper these days than a modem, in fact I havent seen any ADSL 2+ modems for sale yet so presumably they are being phased out, as the manufacturers know that the routers are better. 

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 02:16 »
I would have to agree with Sandra on routers being better than modems.

I have a much more stable connection with router.  My speedtouch modem was a pain in the *rse.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 09:27 »
Hi Sandra and Lona.

Ive not got anything against routers, in fact I agree that the hardware firewall incorporated in them is extra protection. The problem seems to come when you use Peer to Peer progs such as uTorrent or E-mule etc. You then have to use a static address, which has to be set up on your PC and then start frigging about forwarding ports, all extra hassle which at my tender age (Lol) I cant really be bothered with.

I am myself useing a BT Voyager 210 Router now which is a doddle to set up. Its programmed to work with all UK ISPs, and a doddle to forward ports etc. A good piece of kit with a firewall and a switch on the back if you wish to switch off at night, which I rarely do.

Virgin supplied me with a free Netgear DG834G Wireless Router, which seemed impossible to set up with a static address-kept saying "The router requires the computer to be set for DHCP. The Wizard will reset your computer for DHCP"

What thats all about? Drove me mad!!

My point was that an ADSL Modem is simply "Plug and Play"

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:06 »

Virgin supplied me with a free Netgear DG834G Wireless Router, which seemed impossible to set up with a static address-kept saying "The router requires the computer to be set for DHCP. The Wizard will reset your computer for DHCP"

What thats all about? Drove me mad!!

My point was that an ADSL Modem is simply "Plug and Play"

The router assigns each pc the LAN IP through the DHCP, this will not change unless you disconnect it and connect another pc to the router, so for all intents it is a static LAN IP.

An ethernet modem would be plug and play but the USB ones can be hard work to get installed becuase they need drivers.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 11:21 »
Hi Sandra

So are you saying that I have to set my PC to use DHCP and not set it for a static IP, as I did in the Voyager?

How do I use the Netgear for Peer to Peer then?

Thanks

Delgado

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum