Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: firewall software  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
firewall software
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:20 »
for people who have a router, do you also use extra firewall software or just rely on the router to do its job.

how can you tell what the router is blocking. compared to a software version which a visible list can be seen, what is the standard 'block/allow list' in routers.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: firewall software
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:57 »
The router firewall is something I have always been a little confused about, so I use a software one as well.  I actually use F-Secure Internet Security, which is an all in one suite.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:17 »
I use the router firewall with the Windows firewall enabled.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:43 »
Same as Clive for me, I dont think you need anything more, unless you have some serious security needs such as confidential business or financial stuff.

Ports 80 for HTTP and 21 for FTP are usually open by default.
Any others you have to open yourself for each pcs IP on your LAN.
So if you cant access something or run a program then you have to allow the port it uses yourself so theres no warning other than not being able to access it.
Some may log blocked attempts in a part of the router when you access it through its web interface.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:47 by Sandra »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 18:37 »
It's worth clicking on shields up to find out how bullet-proof you are.   ;)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 14:07 »
It's worth clicking on shields up to find out how bullet-proof you are.   ;)

yeah its a good site that I stealthed it  :)

But would still like to know what/how to set up the router one if I have to or is the default ok. Does anyone know or point me in the right direction.

How do you know which ports need to be open/closed Sandra?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 18:37 »
I'm glad you asked Sandra, Baz, because it's still a mystery to me, even though I've had it explained countless times!   ::)  Basically, on mine, I left it in it's default state, and just added firewall rules if something didn't work.  P2P software is one thing that needs manually allowing.  Other than that, I leave it all to my software firewall.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 22:20 »
As I said earlier 80 is used for HTTP, 21 for FTP other applications prefer certain ports secure FTP uses 22.
I am not sure if there is some way that the pc blocks applications or entries that try and use the same port as another application, or if its restricted soley to that one, I assume it must work like that or we would only have a single port for all traffic to and from a pc.

If an application needs to use a specific port them it usually says so when being installed or if, as Simon says, its a P2P program then you can usually select which ports you want it to use so you can restrict the likelyhood of a hacker using known sharing ports.

Most routers should block ports by default, apart from the ones mentioned above, others have to be added either by using the applications/games menu, port forwarding, or creating virtual servers.
Different routers have different terms for the same thing.
Also some routers need ports configuring for TCP and UDP, others can do both in the same rule thats been created.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum