Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ADSL connection problems, anyone...?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
ADSL connection problems, anyone...?
« on: October 22, 2007, 13:24 »
UK ISP Zen has to set alarm bells ringing!  Hot on the heels of the news that the UK?s BT Home Hub is borked comes the news that the chipset used globally by a third of all ADSL router integrators ?causes intermittancy?

http://www.boardmad.com/2007/10/22/ouch-adsl-connection-problems-anyone/
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: ADSL connection problems, anyone...?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 14:41 »
It could explain some of the disconnections I've had, but they've never been enough to make me think of getting a BT engineer out, maybe one every 12 days. I think my marginal line has more to do with that than the router chipset, but maybe I should test a 2700HG?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 15:05 »
What's the difference with a '2 wire' router, Rik, and are they compatible with a 'normal' home broadband set up?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 15:51 »
It confused me too, Simon. 2 Wire is the manufacturer.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 17:01 »
 :blush:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 23:30 »
I've only had one disconnection since I joined zen and been with them six months now.

My only gripe is the price £24.99 for just a 20gig download
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 00:11 »
It's not the ISPs that article is referring to, Lona, it the router hardware, so if you were unlucky to be affected, it wouldn't matter who you were with.  :(

Oh, and IDNet, who I am now with, offer 30Gb for £24.99, and uploads don't count.  ;)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 00:49 »
You forgot the free migration, Simon. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 06:24 »
I've had three linksys wifi routers that all lock up almost on a daily basis. It happens just once every 2 days or so. I just bought 1000' of patch cable that i plan on running in the walls to three rooms of the house. I'm just tired of fooling with wireless. It's not worth the effort.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:44 »
You forgot the free migration, Simon. :)

It wasn't meant to be an advert, Rik!   o:) ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:46 »
I've had three linksys wifi routers that all lock up almost on a daily basis. It happens just once every 2 days or so. I just bought 1000' of patch cable that i plan on running in the walls to three rooms of the house. I'm just tired of fooling with wireless. It's not worth the effort.

Does it being wireless make any difference in this case?  I understood the alleged problem to be with a chipset in the router, so wouldn't it affect wired connections as well?

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 16:49 »
It wasn't meant to be an advert, Rik!   o:) ;)

are we allowed to advertise now then ?

;) ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 22:32 »
It's not the ISPs that article is referring to, Lona, it the router hardware, so if you were unlucky to be affected, it wouldn't matter who you were with.  :(

Oh, and IDNet, who I am now with, offer 30Gb for £24.99, and uploads don't count.  ;)

Much the same, Simon as zen minus 10gig.  I'm not charged for uploads but all downloads count no matter what time of day it is unlike Elipse who allowed you to download overnight without it counting to your allowance.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 22:53 »
Does it being wireless make any difference in this case?  I understood the alleged problem to be with a chipset in the router, so wouldn't it affect wired connections as well?

I don't know, but what i do know is the linksys wired routers I've installed for people don't have the same problem.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 23:54 »
Much the same, Simon as zen minus 10gig.  I'm not charged for uploads but all downloads count no matter what time of day it is unlike Elipse who allowed you to download overnight without it counting to your allowance.

I thought I might have a problem with the capped limit, but I've gone nowhere near it so far, and it's surprising how little I seem to use.  Nice to have some in reserve though.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum