Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Fears over online banking checks  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Fears over online banking checks
« on: November 13, 2007, 14:31 »
Complicated security checks could be undermining confidence in online banking, warn experts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7091206.stm

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Fears over online banking checks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 16:00 »
It's a pity that article isn't accompanied by details of how many online bank accounts there are, how many new ones are being opened and how many are being closed.  In fact, the few statistics that are given (fraud down 67%, phishing attacks up 42%) mean nothing without something to set them in context.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 16:09 »
Oddly enough, more security checks seem a good idea to me, and I've been banking online since 1986 (Bank of Scotland on the Prestel system).
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 16:28 »
A lot of people simply can't be bothered if things look too complex.  A lot of my friends and relatives are fine with their PCs, until there's a problem, or something happens that they don't understand.  Then they either panic and call me, or click Yes / No buttons without really understanding what they are being asked (it must be OK because the box went away).  Some people I know have had their PC for years, but have never purchased anything online, and would certainly never entertain the idea of online banking, because of fear from lack of understanding, and a can't be arsed mentality when it comes to learning anything new.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 16:59 »
Halifax launches security centre

High street bank Halifax has launched an online security centre for its customers to reassure them about the safety of online banking services.

It offers advice on choosing a secure password, firewall and anti-virus software and there is even a quiz to test your knowledge of online security.

Shoomon Perry, head of ecommerce at Halifax, said: "We make every effort to ensure customers' online security, but there are some simple steps everyone can take to stay safe online.

"Using a firewall to prevent hackers from accessing your computer is a wise step, as is choosing a password that is hard for someone else to guess but easy for you to remember," Perry continued.

The Halifax Security Centre also offers guides to phishing attacks, Trojan horses and viruses.

www.halifax.co.uk
www.getsafeonline.org

I scored 7/8 in the quiz - failing on taking backups.   :blush:

Link fixed - thanks Rik!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 17:38 by Clive »

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 17:05 »
Linky needs a fix... ;)

8/8 - but I'm paranoid about backups, ask Simon. :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 17:11 by Rik Bean »
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 18:24 »
I scored 8 too - shame on you, Clive!   :)x

Oh, and Rik has about as many computers going, as this bloke has drums:

Check out a couple of videos:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/neilpeartfinale.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/neilpeartsnare.html
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 18:34 »
Not quite - it just feels like it on Patch Tuesday. :)

Love those videos - I wonder what he does if he ever misses catching the stick? I also not he almost certainly learned to play in a marching band, he's using the unmatched grip.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 19:09 »
I'd like to see him march with that lot!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 19:13 »
I don't know the technical terms, but he has recently changed from the 'marching' grip to the 'normal' one.  Not being a drummer, I have never understood how that 'marching' grip can be of any advantage, but I'm sure someone will tell us.  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 22:46 »
The links are Quicktime and my computer doesn't do that. 

Oh well I just backed up my Outlook Express address book.  I tried to back up an Excel spreadsheet onto a memory stick but it reckons it can't be done?  Is my computer telling porkys?   ???

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 00:37 »
I don't know the technical terms, but he has recently changed from the 'marching' grip to the 'normal' one.  Not being a drummer, I have never understood how that 'marching' grip can be of any advantage, but I'm sure someone will tell us.  ;)

The position of the traditional side drum in a marching band means that the left hand could never achieve the required angle for the drum head, as it's riding on the outside of the left thigh and at an angle. So the reverse, or unmatched grip, came to be employed. As many jazz drummers started out in marching bands, you still see them using the grip - and adjusting the drum kit to suit.

With modern frame-supported drums, the tendency is dying out somewhat, and drummers are more likely to use the matched grip, ie both hands are on top of the sticks.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 00:38 »
Oh well I just backed up my Outlook Express address book.  I tried to back up an Excel spreadsheet onto a memory stick but it reckons it can't be done?  Is my computer telling porkys?   ???

It should work - do you have enough free space? What error message did you get?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 08:41 »
I've done it now and I'm surprised how much I've actually got backed up on that stick.  It's mainly templates I need, so apart from my address book, I don't need to back up all that regularly.  I now give myself 7.5 out of 8.   ;D  However, what happens is when I click on save in with either Word 2000 or Excel, it crashes for the first couple of times. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 09:30 »
Odd. Is anything showing up in Device Manager. I just wonder whether the USB port is being put to sleep, or the flash drive is switching off.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum