Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New Sound card Problem  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Nuli

New Sound card Problem
« on: December 06, 2007, 15:38 »
Hi all,
I decided to upgrade my sound card from an old Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 to a super duper new Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
But I can't get any sound out of the rear speakers of my Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system.
My OS is XP with SP2.

I've checked in the softward supplied and made sure the setting is on 5.1
I did a speaker test with the software supplied and the rear speakers are silent.
I've checked in windows sound that the setting is 5.1

The new sound card has four connections the extra one is for Side Surround which I don't have.
The connections look straight forward enough Front to Front, Centre S. Woofer to Centre S. Woofer and Back to Back.

This evening I will try and swop the cables around to see if I have a problem with one of them but I'm thinking the new sound card could be faulty as my speakers worked fine with my old sound card.
Does anybody have any other ideas?

Martin

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: New Sound card Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 21:09 »
You've done everything I would have suggested, Martin, but I would try the side surround connections for the rears, as often the 'back' connections refer to 7.1, but you only have 5.1 speakers.  I think this is how I set up my newish AV amp, which is 7.1, but I only have a 5.1 set up, using the 'side' speakers as the 'rears'.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Nuli

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:54 »
Hi Simon,
Last night when I got home from work I started cable swopping to see what speakers would and wouldn't work and guess what. I plugged the back speakers jack into the side surround and hey presto! they worked.
I should have asked this question on PC Pals a few days ago and saved myself some time.
Now I can sit back and enjoy the improved sound of my MP3s.
Thanks for the advice
Martin

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 20:18 »
Glad to hear it's sorted Martin.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum