Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A general question on PC sound  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Nuli

A general question on PC sound
« on: December 12, 2007, 15:21 »
Hi all,
I've just upgraded my sound card and have noticed it has optical digital connections.
So of course the next step would be to upgrade my speakers from analog to digital.
I am looking at Logitech Z5500  a 5.1 system so I can connect my soundcard by fibre optics.
The Logitech system has a good write up but can anyone suggest any alturnatives?

Also, I was thinking that you improve the sound with the opitical connection but your speakers are still connected by old fashion wires. Does that not then degredate the sound again.

It's all a bit new to me so any helpful hints will be appreciated.

Regards Martin

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: A general question on PC sound
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 21:16 »
Hi Martin,

As far as I am aware, the 'digital' part is just the signal processing, i.e. the data from the soundcard to the amplifier.  The speakers themselves are no different to 'normal' speakers.  In fact, they are just 'normal' speakers, and as such, would connect with 'normal' speaker wires, as in a home surround sound system.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Nuli

Re: A general question on PC sound
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:05 »
Hi Simon,

It was me just thinking aloud really.
Having improved the signal from PC to amp with a fibre optic cable, I was thinking that from amp to speakers the signal would degrade a bit because of the use of wires.

I've just read a review of the Logitech Z5500 speaker system and you can plug more than one thing at a time into it ie DVD player, TV, games machines and so on
In fact one chap suggested using both analog and optical connections to the PC so you can use all the applications of the sound card. 

Thanks Martin

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum