Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: WIFI Aerial change...any ideas???  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Moreno

WIFI Aerial change...any ideas???
« on: January 08, 2008, 22:02 »
Hi guys,

This is going to sound strange but I will go ahead anyway. I have been having trouble with my wireless card in my media player for a little while as it is picking up next to no signal. I tried changing channels on the router which doesn't seem to help.

Its a 54g Belkin card with the little black aerial....one of the guys at work gave me a higher gain aerial to attach to the card, but on closer inspection of the card I see the aerial is not detachable. As the card is not working anyway, I have manged to remove the aerial finding that a little cable runs through the aerial and a larger copper looking wire goes through the large aerial given to me.

I have looked at how the aerial on the belkin was attached and it was merely soldered to a part of the card. I am going to try and attach a new cable to the new larger aerial and then solder this to the wireless card? What metal will the cable be to run the signal through??? Can anyone see any problems with this?

any advise welcomed

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: WIFI Aerial change...any ideas???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 23:13 »
hmmm, well you probably just need to use normal solder - I thought I'd do a bit of research on the antenna configs used and I came across this interesting video - sounds good, maybe a solution for yourself. - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/837885/wifi_antenna_hack/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Moreno

Re: WIFI Aerial change...any ideas???
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:30 »
Haha now thats what i call a hack....cheers mate, i am going to see what i can do and then report back.

cheers

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum