Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: EastEnders tops 2007's TV ratings  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
EastEnders tops 2007's TV ratings
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:59 »
The EastEnders Christmas episode was the most watched TV programme of 2007 with 14.38 million viewers. 

FULL STORY

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: EastEnders tops 2007's TV ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 13:52 »
I bet Corrie will top the bill tonight.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 14:25 »
Luckily, there's rugby on, so I don't have to watch either. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 14:45 »
What a sad reflection on either the quality of todays TV programmes or of the viewers  ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 15:00 »
Absolutely Sandra!  The only programmes that I watched were the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on Channel 5.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 15:18 »
What a sad reflection on either the quality of todays TV programmes or of the viewers  ::)

It could be worse, Sandra, it could have been Strictly or Big Brother...  :devil:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 17:51 »
Oy - leave Strictly alone  :P .  I was in complete agreement with all the contributions to this thread until I read that.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 17:59 »
Just because you don't like some programmes, Sandra, it doesn't make people who do enjoy them inferior members of society.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 00:40 »
Just because you don't like some programmes, Sandra, it doesn't make people who do enjoy them inferior members of society.

Not always Simon but it shows that they have too much time on their hands and will put up with poor quality programmes.

I didnt see all of them this year Clive but I saw the one showing how the human body adapts to the lack of oxygen at altitude by growing extra blood vessels, very interesting and well worth watching  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 01:25 »
Not always Simon but it shows that they have too much time on their hands and will put up with poor quality programmes.

In your opinion.  Many people find them enjoyable.  Just because you don't, doesn't make them poor quality.  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 01:53 »
Surely wooden has been or wannabe actors and actresses, poor scripts and crappy storylines, has by definition, got to mean that they are poor quality hasnt it Simon  :dunno:

Werent all soaps originally made as cheaply as possible, just to fill in the gaps between the adverts, I doubt that they have improved since their conception   :(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:56 by Sandra »

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 11:00 »
+ 1, I find all "soap operas" dull & boring i prefer my viewing more interesting than watching a B grade actor overacting from a lame script :ack:
Thank god for the internet :thumbs:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 11:44 »
Although I'm not of a fan of soaps for reasons Sandra and gmax have already given, plus the facts that the stories never seem to be resolved and they give the characters totally unbelievable lives, they do have a place on television.  After all, the 11 million or so who regularly tune in to Eastenders, Corrie, The Bill and the rest all pay their television licence and are entitled to get something out of it.

What saddens me is that the remainder of the TV licence payers don't get their fair share.  All the other programmes are dominated by celebrity and talent shows, having gaps filled by vox pop programmes.  A few years ago all the dramas seemed to feature James Nesbitt, now it's Marc Warren.  There are very few programmes which address culture vultures other than cheap, boring, panel discussions which appear to be designed to fill a hole in the schedules late at night.  ITV's South Bank Show is the closest we get to a quality culture programme on terrestrial TV, but even that fails to measure up to Melvyn Bragg's In Our Time on Radio 4.  The only nod from BBC1 is Film 200X fronted by the ubiquitous Jonafon Woss who knows nothing about the arts from what I can make out.  How sad that Barry Norman was put out to pasture.  How sad that the format of Film 200X has remained unchanged since his days.  If I want to get a decent film review, I download the Mark Kermode podcast from Radio 5's Simon Mayo.  It's the same if I want a book review.  Whoever would have thought that Simon Mayo would be leading the BBCs cultural output?  Nevertheless, that seems to be the sad state of affairs nowadays.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 12:30 »
Surely wooden has been or wannabe actors and actresses, poor scripts and crappy storylines, has by definition, got to mean that they are poor quality hasnt it Simon  :dunno:

Of some soaps, such as Neighbours, Home and Away, Hollyoaks, etc, I would agree, but you're making a sweeping generalisation, Sandra, that all soaps are the same, and that people who watch them are somehow inadequate human beings.  You are entitled to your opinion, and further entitled to choose not to watch soaps, but as Gill said, there is a place for them on television, and millions of people enjoy them, so they can't all be that bad.  Corrie has excellent scripts, a professional cast of actors and a wide spectrum of storylines, although, admittedly, some of them can drag on a bit.  I really can't see how it could have survived for 47 years by being 'crappy'!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 12:52 »
people who watch them are somehow inadequate human beings. 

I really can't see how it could have survived for 47 years by being 'crappy'!

I never said that people who watch them are inadequate Simon, although now you mention it then it does make me wonder  ;D

If something is cheap to make, brings in a lot of money from advertising revenues and people dont demand more then of course something crappy can and will run for 47 years and longer  ::)

As Gill has said, while they fill the screens with such TV shows, "reality" ones, celebrity this and that, people of limited talent shows plus countless quiz shows and other incredibly cheap to make shows then we will never get a good mix of TV worth watching  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum