Connection  448      5920

Speed test.

373       1912

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: ISP
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2008, 00:28 »
It might take a little perseverance, but can you try to do a speed test at http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/, JK, and copy the results here?  It's possibly that you may have a 'stuck profile', which means that your connection speed would be stuck at 2Mbps.  This often clears by itself after 3-5 days.  As you have only been on IDNet for a couple of days, I would suggest you leave it until the middle of next week, and if things don't improve, give IDNet a call and they can sort things with BT for you.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2008, 02:11 »
Simon
The results are:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4768 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1855 kbps

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2008, 08:37 »
Your throughput is OK for your profile, but both should improve over the next few days.  If not, give IDNet a call, JK.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05 »
Contact support, JK, get them to reset your profile. It won't be an issue, if your sync is stable nothing will change but your throughput.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2008, 10:10 »
Would they do it immediately, Rik, given that JK only migrated three days ago?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2008, 10:19 »
I suspect this was an imposed profile, rather than a stuck one, Simon. By the time JK can make contact, five days will have passed, so if it's still there it's time to kick the tyres.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline JK

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2008, 22:48 »
Hi All
After having a good think about the situation I would be prepaired to have a fixed 2M service, its miles better than going down to
256K through put with Pipex. I have seen horror stories on the internet with people keep getting stuck with very low profile speeds after
interference on the line. My SNR margin is rock steady during the day and plunges at night. Sometimes by upto 10. I  sync up each morning just short of 6M. If I leave the router on and check the line stat's after dark, my connection has resynced at a much, much lower rate.
So far with IDNet my through put is a constant 2M with no ADSL Max line training resync's at all. I thought I had a line problem when I kept getting resyncs with pipex, now I am sure it was the 10 day ADSL Max period.
I cannot see the point is chasing very high speeds if you are happy with 2M constantly.
You views would be appricated.
 ::)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2008, 22:52 »
the question is do you really need the 6M? or are you happy with the nice constant 2M?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2008, 23:07 »
It depends on all the factors, and whether your line will actually support speeds above 2Mb, JK.  It maybe that BT need to do some tweaking, in order that you can enjoy better speeds, but this is really best talked over with IDNet now, as they are the ones who can work with BT for you.  It's possible that you may have had a 'stuck profile' all along with Pipex, and IDNet may be able to help with that, by resetting your profile.  Give them a call, you may find it very worthwhile.

Offline JK

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2008, 23:36 »
Simon I think that I have a 2M profile because BT have moved all internet users onto ADSL Max equipment.
Although I had a 1M service with Pipex I always synced up at a 2M line rate. Then one day I noted that I was synced up at 5.7M.
With my move from Pipex to IDNet, all BT have done is to do some software cross connection changes on the ATM network to move me over to IDNet.
The question you ask is am I happy with 2M then the answer is yes. I could chase the 6M and end up with 166K for several days.
I have downloaded from a P2P site at 150Kbps with IDNet with Pipex less than 50 during the day and at  2 during the busy periods
There are stories out there of people ending up 256K with ADSL Max, after they moved from a fixed 2M service.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2008, 23:57 »
If you move from a fixed rate, to an adaptable rate, and find it unstable, IDNet can always 'fix' you again, so that's not too much of a worry.  It just seems a shame that all the signs are there that you should be getting a higher speed, and it might just be that your profile needs resetting.  As I said, talk to IDNet about it tomorrow, as they can do some tests on your line, and they will advise you of the best option.  :)

Offline JK

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2008, 00:09 »
Simon
Just done the Bt speed test again and this is the result.
    IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4800 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3728 kbps

Somethings happen since Friday.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2008, 00:13 »
Ah, so it looks like your profile is recovering, or the line training has kicked in.  See how it goes over the next couple of days.  Your throughput is correct for your profile, so it looks like you have a nice stable connection.  :)

Offline JK

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2008, 21:58 »
Update
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5344 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4396 kbps

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum