Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sharing Dial Up Over Wireless??  (Read 3785 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:Sharing Dial Up Over Wireless??
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2003, 19:42 »
It's been a long day  ;)

Changed the router to 192.168.0.100 but it still won't work.

I've emailed netgear support and see what they have to say.

I'll let you how i get on.  It's not urgent anyway - just means i'll stick to surfing at my desk for now.

Thanks everyone for all your help

DJ1UK

Offline Hitch

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2003, 00:54 »
have you tried getting away from 192?

try these instead ya never know.

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 19:23 »
Hi All - I'm back.

Still not working  ??? , Netgear support told me to disable DHCP on the router - but when I do this I can't access it via the browser setup - and my laptop can't connect.  here's how far I got - I started from the begining (a very good place to start  ;) ):

1) Desktop (Host) PC LAN is set as obtain IP automatically, plugged in router and set this up as 192.168.0.1

2) Laptop Wireless PCMCIA LAN card set to obtain IP automatically.

Everything OK - PC and laptop can see and share files / printer etc.  Just now want to share dial-up internet connection from DESKTOP to LAPTOP. Which I've been told, DHCP needs to be turned off.

3) When I switch DHCP off on the router - it loses connection and can't see laptop or the browswer setup window.  Even after restart.

4) I've tried manually setting Desktop's LAN to 192.168.0.1 and LAPTOP to 192.168.0.2 - but won't let me set the LAN to 192.168.0.1 as already in use.

PC Desktop Has "LAN" in Network Neighbourhood, whilst Laptop has "LAN" and "Wireless Connection" icons.  Router is connected through LAN to PC.

Anyone any ideas - please if you could put a step by step guide on how to setup from the start!  (Using netgear DG824M & MA401).

Sorry for the messing about - I'm new to wireless networking and Internet Connection Sharing.   :-[

Failing this I'll phone netgear support on Monday.

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

DJ1UK

Adept

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2003, 19:54 »
OK I see your problem now  ::)

First of all turn off DHCP on the Router and set it's IP address to 192.168.0.100

On your PC with the DUN connection run the Window XP Network Setup Wizard. This will assign 192.168.0.1 to this pc. Take the option to create a setup disk.

Take the disk to the second PC (laptop??) and run the setup program. This should assign 192.168.0.2 to the wireless card and you should then be able to see the other PC over the network and browse the Net.

Hope this sorts it this time ;)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 20:31 »
Just my luck!  The wireless routers playing up.  The "Test Light" won't go off now, I can access it via the web browser and the factory restore button on the back isn't playing either.

I'll phone netgear on Monday and post back how I get on

Thanks Adept for your post.

DJ1UK

Adept

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2003, 20:37 »
Oh dear DJ :o This must seem like it's never going to work for you :(

Best of luck with Netgear on Monday :D

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2003, 10:15 »
After phoneing Netgear support (based in France) on Monday I recieved a brand new Router yesterday - so was very impressed. Still have the old one and they haven't told me how to return it yet!!

I'll read the tutorial on wireless networks that Bat posted and see if it'll work this time!

I've also emailed netgear to see if they have any further advice.

DJ1UK

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 15:54 »
Thought I'd update this post.

Now that I've got broadband  :P everything is working, I can now surf the net from anywhere using my laptop!

Technology - ain't it great  ;D

DJ1UK

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 16:06 »
Mrs Clive doesn't feel properly dressed unless she is carrying her wireless laptop under her arm.   ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum