Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Virgin - three strikes and you're out!  (Read 845 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Virgin - three strikes and you're out!
« on: March 31, 2008, 00:08 »
"The UK's largest residential broadband provider, Virgin Media, has announced its intention to introduce a warning system for those caught engaged in illegal downloading (piracy). It is expected to be very similar to the controversial "Three-Strikes" method proposed by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and will go live within the next few months."

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkpylyVFEVprNOiCbo.html
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Virgin - three strikes and you're out!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:59 »
ive had just about enough of virgin and their rules.. things were great when it was telewest but the service has become increasingly shoddy now that virgin have taken over. They no throttle connections, and they started doing this without telling their customers. There speeds are increasingly crap, probably because they have too many users and trying to get too much out of it. I do like the fact that it is not tied to my phone in anyway and its completely separate but at the moment here is one angry virgin user...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Malc

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:02 »

Watch out IDnet and others, the masses wil be coming.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:02 »
ive had just about enough of virgin and their rules.. things were great when it was telewest but the service has become increasingly shoddy now that virgin have taken over. They no throttle connections, and they started doing this without telling their customers. There speeds are increasingly crap, probably because they have too many users and trying to get too much out of it. I do like the fact that it is not tied to my phone in anyway and its completely separate but at the moment here is one angry virgin user...

That sounds just like what happened with Pipex, Sam.   >:(

Watch out IDnet and others, the masses wil be coming.

Yes, Malc, it's the users of ISPs that don't adopt the policy that will end up suffering, with all the heavy downloaders jumping the Virgin ship, and looking for somewhere else to go.  :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 14:31 »
oh well, poor you :-D ... I'm pretty sure that most of the users on virgin dont download that much as most of them probably got it bundled in for an extra tenner...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 21:12 »

This one makes two, the throttling really annoys me.  They were fine as NTL but they have gone to the dogs since the VM rebranding. 
I've been a "valued" cable customer for 13 years  :woot: and i pay £18 for a 2 meg connection which plummets to 1 meg as soon as i dare use it as broadband.  If I were a new customer i'd get it for £4.50 for the first year then £9 after that. Good eh  ':|

I did negotiate a small discount but it's still overpriced....trouble is the only alternative (ie adsl) seems like a backwards step when in theory cable internet is by far the superior product.  Well done Virgin Media  >:(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum